is this stealing? should i put free range hen into my coop?

Humm, follow the heart or follow the brain.. It is hard to be a human some days :)

My concern would be biosecurity. Wouldn't matter where I got a new chicken from, it wouldn't enter the coop for 30 days. Which would make me no better than the legal owners as I have no place to do this with an adult chicken.

Follow what is legally right to do.
If you take the bird it is stealing. I agree on asking the neighbor if you can have or buy the hen with her chicks.

Also, if these chickens are being a nuisance to the renters politely ask the neighbor to please keep their critters on their own property or you would have to take legal action. The neighbor may be oblivious that his chickens are an issue to the renters if no one communicates with him about it.

However, if he is one of those uncaring types then follow the legal course to get him to change how he keeps them or forces him to rehome them.

If something doesn't belong to you and you take it, regardless of the reason(s) or circumstances, it is stealing. Do the right thing, call the authorities and make a formal complaint. Remember, no good deed ever goes unpunished.

If something doesn't belong to you and you take it, regardless of the reason(s) or circumstances, it is stealing. Do the right thing, call the authorities and make a formal complaint. Remember, no good deed ever goes unpunished.

goodpost.gif
That is the truth....very well stated.

My philosophy is ...finders keepers!! Especially since the bird has set up shop, so to speak, and is in danger from predators...if the owners really cared, they would keep them confined to their own yard. JMO

Last edited:
This is a fascinating discourse. Tbh in the past i would have treated it like a wild animal pand just gi en it water and kept away. Now that i love my own chickies i am much more concerned and conscientious.

The suggestiin about checking livestock rules was a great post. But i feel conflicted about reporting this fuy since our county rukes are nice and lax but bringing up nuisance issues could tighten the noose on my own coop eventually.

I am a very erhical person and pit pseems lime the overwhelming majority pthinks i should leave her alone.

I will update you guys with some pics of her in the fountain tomorrow....she is such a good mom :)

What would you do if it was a dog? I know how you feel, but it's not your responsibility or your property. If you ask the owner, and you end up with that hen in your coop, be prepared to pay the owner for the hen.

I'd ask the owner. This happened recently to a friend of mine. Only, she was your neighbor, so to speak.
She had a couple of meat chickens and a rooster that became too old to eat. So they stayed on in the yard. And free-ranged EVERYWHERE.
At some point a neighbor 3 houses away told her that the chickens had been coming into her yard and he had been kind of taking care of them when they did. My friend asked him if he wanted to keep them and he said yes.
So I guess my point is, it never hurts to ask.

Consensus is that taking the hen would be stealing. What about the chicks? The eggs were laid and will be hatched on another property. The hen is not being fed or cared for by its owner.

Back
Top Bottom