is this stealing? should i put free range hen into my coop?

i say keep her and the chicks if they come back wanting their hen give it to them but i would not say anything about the babies because they have no idea about her having any... just my 2 cents

I think I would take the eggs and hatch them myself (well, maybe use an incubator!). That would break the hen's broodiness, she would go back to the relative safety of the trees at night, and you would prevent more nuisance animals from roaming your neighborhood. You don't need to inform the "owner." To my mind, he has relinquished ownership.

However, I am not in your shoes, and respect the decision you've made. I wonder how many times the hen has attempted to brood a clutch. This may be just one of many.

If you kept her you would have to keep her in a seperate area because other hens would go after her and the chicks once they hatched....quarantine....1) So that would take care of the first concern of yours. 2) You would have to get her at night, she wouldn't try to get away. 3) They don't really care about any of there chickens or they would protect them...religious/cultural reasons or not!

Ask yourself...."Would I feel regret if something happened to her because I left her and the eggs (soon to be chicks) out there?"

Finders keepers Losers weepers .LOL those Birds should have a coop , if you don't keep them Keep the babies , Because they don't even know that they will exist . So they don't know they own them . Maybe ? Its really up to you But I would address the fact they roam in others yards , that is not right I hate when One of Mine fly over the fence , Its like when my neighbors dog comes in my yard I Do not WANT him in my yard he poops all over , go home and poop in your yard . Just My 2 cents too Good luck
jumpy.gif
with the babies

The safety of the hen and her brood comes first, in my opinion. If the owner is that irresponsible that he can't be bothered to provide safe housing for his flock, and especially for a broody and eggs/chicks, I would report him to the animal protection/anti-cruelty society!
AND I would take that broody and her eggs and give her a safe coop with plenty of fresh water and food and let her raise the chicks. In fact, I probably would just keep any of the chickens that come on my (or my relatives') property! But that's because I'd be concerned about the safety of the chickens.

How is the hen doing? Still sitting? I think the life of the hen and babies come first. The owner obviously doesn't care.

Interesting replies...wonder how many of these people who say this is ok to just take a setting hen would feel if the situation were reversed...or if it was their dog that got loose and came up missing?

I think you're comparing apples to oranges, Em. What's being discussed is not someone's hen on a one-time escape from a barnyard, the subject is a neighbor who habitually lets his chickens wander without any restraint. A rooster and hens allowed to leave the owner's property without any effort being taken to keep them in. No coop, no pen, just let the chooks out and let them go where they may. The flock habitually enters the OP's parents yard, and the broody laid her eggs in the parents' empty fountain.

Not only are the chickens endangered in this way, but the neighbor is also allowing them to be a nuisance. The rooster crows and the hens squawk under the OP's parents' windows, for pete sake. How would you feel about a neighbor letting his flock loose to come dig up your garden beds and poop on your patio? LOL!

In this case, the person may not even notice or care that one of his hens is missing. The OP hasn't mentioned the neighbor going door to door frantically trying to locate a beloved missing hen. When one of my bantam hens got away, I DID go door to door trying to find her. When she returned on her own, I made sure my coop was secure so it wouldn't happen again.

My first action would be to politely talk with the neighbor and see if some arrangement could be made to coop the flock. If he doesn't seem to care, FKLW.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom