Is this stupid or GENIUS?

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
I am “rednecking” a chick brooder from an old crib for the back deck since our coop is too far to run power and we don’t want them inside this time around. Here is my “stupid or genius” thought -

Should I put a piece of food in the brooder while complete and leave it for a week to see if anything eats it? Just to ensure I didn’t miss any cracks? Or is that teaching animals that there is food on our deck and a terrible plan?

I would move the crib and then do it, but the deck is on the 2nd story and the stairs would be too narrow. And it’s pretty heavy with the roof.

Anyway…stupid idea, right? Just try my best to double check all the edges for gaps and then hope for the best? 😬🤷‍♀️

(Can you tell I am not the most “handy” person?)

It's a good idea to me. But I'd tweak your idea a bit.

I'd have it set up with everything you're going to need. Including feed, water, and heat. Since that's what is going to be in there with the chicks.

You might get animals trying to find warmth. Some looking for food. Some looking for water.

By putting a random piece of food in there, you may attract something different than what you'd attract with what you're going to have in there with the chicks.

It's a good idea to me. But I'd tweak your idea a bit.

I'd have it set up with everything you're going to need. Including feed, water, and heat. Since that's what is going to be in there with the chicks.

You might get animals trying to find warmth. Some looking for food. Some looking for water.

By putting a random piece of food in there, you may attract something different than what you'd attract with what you're going to have in there with the chicks.
Good point. The test case should be as similar as possible to the real scenario.

But should I stick a piece of chicken in there to replicate…chickens? 🤣

I don't like guesswork or taking chances in these instances. I would plaster the thing with hardware cloth to the point that I would be shocked if a critter got in there. That's just me, but even if you test it, predators are so unpredictable you can never know for sure.

Also consider the trauma the chicks would endure if exposed, visually, to everything. I'm thinking they'd feel very insecure, unless, at least at night, they are covered as well as they will be in their coop, when the grow up

Once I “finish” (hopefully today) I will try to remember to do that. I have been trying to go over it with a fine-toothed comb pressing on all the seams to make sure there is no give, etc. So I would say I am pretty confident.

But them being chicks makes me extra nervous - in the adult coop, I always figured a snake sneaking in for eggs would hopefully be my “early warning system” about any small gaps forming. But with chicks, that’s a disaster and not a warning. Plus I don’t put the food in the adult coop, so rats aren’t an issue there.

*sigh.* this is probably 95% “new baby” jitters.

If you do you test plan, I would suggest setting it up somewhere else in the yard so that you don't invite predators to exactly where you intend to keep you birds.
I don't think that would really matter. Once the chicks are in it, the predators are going to know there they're there anyway.

Back
Top Bottom