Is this sufficient ventilation?

MsDaniVan

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
Thumb Region, Michigan
Hi all!

I'm trying to figure out if I need to add more ventilation, and if so, what kind.

I have a 15x22 ft shed that I'm building my coop inside of. The shed has open ventilation under the eves along both 22ft sides. We will be adding windows for light, but my question is, do the windows have to open? Will the open eves be enough? If not, what else should we add? (I apologize for my lack of proper terminology. I don't the correct terms for these things)

I live in Michigan and will be housing 9-15 chickens if that helps. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 174064656_895142897944267_1558831026078956905_n.jpg
    174064656_895142897944267_1558831026078956905_n.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 174550625_312562420291178_6141701821634665384_n.jpg
    174550625_312562420291178_6141701821634665384_n.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 15
There is no such thing as enough ventilation.. There is a thing about wind blockage.. I live in Witchin' Witchmer's closet.. If you smell ammonia, open the door. It might be Gretchen has a yeast infection.

Hello and welcome to BYC.

The usual guidelines are that each adult, standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- the pop door that's closed at night and any windows that are closed in the winter don't count. :) This ventilation is ideally located above the chickens' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

For 8 chickens that means:

32 square feet in the coop -- 8x4 or 6x6.
80 square feet in the run -- 8x10
8 feet of roost.
8 square feet of ventilation.

For 15 that means:

60 square feet in the run -- 8x8 or 6x10
150 square feet in the run -- 10x15, 8x20, or 12x12
15 feet of roost (note: due to pecking order issues, it's often better to provide multiple roosts in larger flocks so that dominant and subordinate birds can separate themselves).
15 square feet of ventilation.

These numbers are guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules, because climate matters. Since you're in the north in a heavy-snowfall area you will almost certainly want to have a roomier coop, unless you also have a roofed run with sufficient wind and blown-precipitation protection that there will be no time that the chickens are literally cooped-up indoors for days or weeks. :)

It's contra-intuitive, but people in cold climates need generous ventilation as much as people in hot climates because it's not the cold per se that causes frostbite but the cold plus moisture. Generous ventilation high up will allow warm, moist, ammonia-laden are to rise up and escape rather than causing condensation which can freeze on the chickens' combs. So you need enough ventilation that the temperature and humidity inside and outside are the same.

Judging from what I can see in those photos, there is probably nowhere near enough ventilation. My rule of thumb is that if I go into the coop on a warm, sunny day and it's hotter inside than outside I need more ventilation. :)

This photo is from an article on cattle barns, but the principle holds:

natural-ventilation.png

If you use eve and ridge vents you need to be sure that snow doesn't block that ridge vent. :)

Yes, the windows should open. They should be top-hinged to protect the interior from water infiltration. Securely attached 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside of the window openings. I would also cut out the top gable ends and staple hardware cloth on the inside of those openings as well to pair up with your soffit vents.
I like windows at roost height for keeping the birds cool in the summer time. They can always be closed during the winter.
2CAA8E144C7F_1578235491412.png

Yes, the windows should open. They should be top-hinged to protect the interior from water infiltration. Securely attached 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside of the window openings. I would also cut out the top gable ends and staple hardware cloth on the inside of those openings as well to pair up with your soffit vents.
I like windows at roost height for keeping the birds cool in the summer time. They can always be closed during the winter.View attachment 2622977
Do you have a window suggestion? I'm trying to shop for them, but really don't know what to look for or the best place to purchase.

Hello and welcome to BYC.

The usual guidelines are that each adult, standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- the pop door that's closed at night and any windows that are closed in the winter don't count. :) This ventilation is ideally located above the chickens' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

For 8 chickens that means:

32 square feet in the coop -- 8x4 or 6x6.
80 square feet in the run -- 8x10
8 feet of roost.
8 square feet of ventilation.

For 15 that means:

60 square feet in the run -- 8x8 or 6x10
150 square feet in the run -- 10x15, 8x20, or 12x12
15 feet of roost (note: due to pecking order issues, it's often better to provide multiple roosts in larger flocks so that dominant and subordinate birds can separate themselves).
15 square feet of ventilation.

These numbers are guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules, because climate matters. Since you're in the north in a heavy-snowfall area you will almost certainly want to have a roomier coop, unless you also have a roofed run with sufficient wind and blown-precipitation protection that there will be no time that the chickens are literally cooped-up indoors for days or weeks. :)

It's contra-intuitive, but people in cold climates need generous ventilation as much as people in hot climates because it's not the cold per se that causes frostbite but the cold plus moisture. Generous ventilation high up will allow warm, moist, ammonia-laden are to rise up and escape rather than causing condensation which can freeze on the chickens' combs. So you need enough ventilation that the temperature and humidity inside and outside are the same.

Judging from what I can see in those photos, there is probably nowhere near enough ventilation. My rule of thumb is that if I go into the coop on a warm, sunny day and it's hotter inside than outside I need more ventilation. :)

This photo is from an article on cattle barns, but the principle holds:

View attachment 2622976

If you use eve and ridge vents you need to be sure that snow doesn't block that ridge vent. :)
Thank you so much for all of this wonderful info! I love the infographics.

Do you have a window suggestion? I'm trying to shop for them, but really don't know what to look for or the best place to purchase.

You don't need window-windows (though if you really *want* them for aesthetic purposes you should look at your local Habitat ReStore for them).

You need openings covered with hardware cloth to keep predators out and a means of closing them when it's necessary. A top-hinged wooden panel or piece of plexiglass works well for this -- especially if you add a means of holding it partially open when you want protection against weather without completely shutting off the ventilation. :)

Craigslist. People replacing old windows sell them on Craigslist all the time. That's what I did with my coop. If you click on the My Coop link under my avatar you can see how I did my windows. Once you find windows that will work, just install your rough openings inside the shed, cut out the sheathing and hang the windows.

Try Craig's List. You don't need new windows. Even old storm windows would work. Hinge them on the top so they open from the bottom.

With the open eaves, you have approximately 12 square feet of ventilation (rough math figuring length of walls and true opening, as 2x4 studs are not really 2x4). You could add some vents on the gable ends. 12x24 inches on each end would add another 4 square feet. That should be plenty, especially with the cubic feet of space in your shed. If your coop was only 4 feet high, ventilation would be harder. The open windows will just help in the summer when the birds might enjoy a breeze. You could even make a screen door for summer time use.

Back
Top Bottom