Is this the norm for guineas?

There have been some wonderful posts. The Keets are what becomes a problem. They can not fly, they are too young to understand predators and they tend to either wander off or get lost by their parents.

You will eventually catch them all, the ones that have survived. The parents will go about thier business and when you return the Keets at an older age they will go with the parents again.

Just be diliegent, you will get this done. At least you know where the parents and the keets are, this is a big, big plus for ya.

Well caught another keet this morning that the group had went off and left. The other keets were hanging out with the bird sitting on eggs. I am so confused now I don't know how many males and females I have. PLUS I found ANOTHER nest they have started with about 20 eggs in it. When does the insanity stop? This is close to 200 eggs these birds have laid since April.

you must have more than one hen if you have that many eggs. i have a pair that the hen is sitting on 16 of her own eggs due to hatch this wed. my male has a very large and tall cone thingy on top of his head and the hen has a much smaller shorter one. oh she makes the two sylable sound and he does the eee eee sound if that helps any. i know its hard to tell witch one is making the nosie when there all together.

With all the nests you are finding, you have to have more than one female. It's easiest to sex Guineas by their call. Females make the distinctive "buck-wheat" type call while males make a "chi-chi" type call. Like BetsyOK, I don't put a whole lot of stock in sexing by the wattles. I've had females with wattles just as big as the males.

Good luck catching the babies.

Had some bad luck last night a fox raided the nest and took a keet. I have caught all of the babies except for 1. Man are the big ones ticked off with me for taking the keets, one even tried flying at my head. About to go back out to try for the last one. Wish me luck.

Guess I am going to have to do some fox removal; my little petit guinea hen has now gone missing. She had been sitting on the newest nest but she has disappeared with no trace anywhere no feathers nothing. She was such a sweet girl, the only one I could actually pet. The kicker is she was in the fenced in yard. ARGGGGH.

Back
Top Bottom