Is This The Right Course of Action for Worms?

anbhean

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
Colorado
Hello. I have two mini flocks of girls (2 Barred Rocks, 1 Delaware, 1 Australorp and 1 Buff Orpington) that have not yet been put together. The Rocks and Delaware are almost three years and the other two are right around 15 weeks. So of course, this is when my older girls turn up with their first case of worms! I'm about 98% sure they are roundworms (small wiggly, round, not flat and definitely white in runny poo). I've read SOOOOOO much on treatment in the past two days my eyes are crossing, and a lot of what I'm reading is confusing. I was hoping if I posted my treatment "plan" someone might let me know if it should do the job?!?!

For the older girls I was going to start with Wazine 17 to kill the bigger worms. One oz per one gallon water. I plan on only doing this one time and then after the two week withdraw time, dose them with Valbazen 1/2 cc orally per bird once with another two week withdraw time.

For the little ones I plan on only treating them with the Wazine 17 as a precautionary measure. They are currently in my basement and have shown no signs of worms, but I know a lot of folks worm their 16 wk chicks, so I thought it couldn't hurt before sending out with the older girls starting in around 5 weeks.

Does that sound like it will work or is the Wazine 17 on the older girls overkill? Would the Valbazen alone work on them? Or should I do the Wazine 17 and go for the cheaper route of Ivermectin Pour On after the two week withdraw of the Wazine 17?

Help! I'm on information overload!

Hello. I have two mini flocks of girls (2 Barred Rocks, 1 Delaware, 1 Australorp and 1 Buff Orpington) that have not yet been put together. The Rocks and Delaware are almost three years and the other two are right around 15 weeks. So of course, this is when my older girls turn up with their first case of worms! I'm about 98% sure they are roundworms (small wiggly, round, not flat and definitely white in runny poo). I've read SOOOOOO much on treatment in the past two days my eyes are crossing, and a lot of what I'm reading is confusing. I was hoping if I posted my treatment "plan" someone might let me know if it should do the job?!?!

For the older girls I was going to start with Wazine 17 to kill the bigger worms. One oz per one gallon water. I plan on only doing this one time and then after the two week withdraw time, dose them with Valbazen 1/2 cc orally per bird once with another two week withdraw time.

For the little ones I plan on only treating them with the Wazine 17 as a precautionary measure. They are currently in my basement and have shown no signs of worms, but I know a lot of folks worm their 16 wk chicks, so I thought it couldn't hurt before sending out with the older girls starting in around 5 weeks.

Does that sound like it will work or is the Wazine 17 on the older girls overkill? Would the Valbazen alone work on them? Or should I do the Wazine 17 and go for the cheaper route of Ivermectin Pour On after the two week withdraw of the Wazine 17?

Help! I'm on information overload!
Forget the wazine and ivermectin pour on and just use the valbazen. 1/2cc orally for your big girls, 1/4cc orally for the smaller ones. Repeat dosing them again in 10 days. Withdrawal time is 24 days start to finish.

Hey thank dawg53, I was wondering if the Wazine was overkill. I already ordered it because it was cheap... but that's ok. I saw on the other post that Flubenvet has no withdraw period. Do you think it would be as effective in treating my small flock as the valbazen? I'd really prefer to not throw away a months worth of eggs if I can help it.

Hey thank dawg53, I was wondering if the Wazine was overkill. I already ordered it because it was cheap... but that's ok. I saw on the other post that Flubenvet has no withdraw period. Do you think it would be as effective in treating my small flock as the valbazen? I'd really prefer to not throw away a months worth of eggs if I can help it.
Valbazen is hands down the best wormer on the market, it kills all known worms that chickens can get including flukes. Cant say that about flubenvet. Your choice though.

Valbazen ordered. I'd rather be sure it's all gone. Should I reworm in 6 months, or a year? Or wait until it's necessary in the future? Thanks!

Valbazen ordered. I'd rather be sure it's all gone. Should I reworm in 6 months, or a year? Or wait until it's necessary in the future? Thanks!
How often you should worm them depends on your environment, specifically your soil conditions. My soil here is warm and moist most the year, condusive for worms and requires quite frequent wormings. Soils that are cool/cold, desertlike or rocky may not require as much worming. Wet soil may require more worming as well. It's really up to you.You can judge what your soil is like and make a determination how often you should worm your chickens.

valbazen is a very good wormer, we also use Fenbendazole which works wonders as well. We only worm by mixing with water for a 3 day treatment and then remove water. Making sure they have no other water source around when worming.

Hey, just had an update/ question... hoping someone could help.

I followed the Valbazen 1/2 cc per bird with a second dose 10 days later recommendation for my adult girls. But I am concerned because it's been 4 days since the second dose and I just noticed that they are all passing a fair amount of dead worms in their stools. Is this normal? I had thought the first dose would kill most the worms, and then the second dose would kill off any remaining eggs. I was not expecting the second dose to cause so many worms, and for them to be even bigger than the first ones passed (they are roughly the size of uncooked rice). Is the Valbazen not working?

Oh Lord!!! I know this sounds stupid, but I just now got brave enough to google what roundworms look like in chicken poo (I was scared before of what debauchery might come up LOL) and that doesn't look like anything they had... Did I just dose my girls for the wrong thing? Pretty much what my girls had was poo (sometimes runny sometimes not) with what looked like small rice kernels in them. What is that if it's not round worm?

Oh Lord!!! I know this sounds stupid, but I just now got brave enough to google what roundworms look like in chicken poo (I was scared before of what debauchery might come up LOL) and that doesn't look like anything they had... Did I just dose my girls for the wrong thing? Pretty much what my girls had was poo (sometimes runny sometimes not) with what looked like small rice kernels in them. What is that if it's not round worm?
Rice kernals are tapeworm segments. Tapeworms are difficult to get rid of and you'll need to reworm your birds a third, possibly a fourth time. I recommend you do the following even though you've rewormed them a second time; in 6 days withhold their feed for a full 24 hours, ensure they have water to drink during that period of time. At the end of the 24 hour period of fasting, it's best to reworm them when you first let them out the coop in the morning time. The birds will be hungry...so will the tapeworms. That's the best time to reworm your birds with the valbazen. Increase dosage to 1cc orally to each bird. Wait 2-3 hours before letting your birds eat their feed. The following day it may be possible to see the tapes in their feces. Repeat this procedure in 6 days. Hopefully that will clear the tapes out.

Back
Top Bottom