1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this the right place for this?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cletus the rooster, Jun 5, 2011.

1. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i like birds.got my first bird book from my grandpa when i was 8.basically raise them as a hobby(not some get rich scheme).so why today when i was at a chickenstock a lady comes up to me to ask about the price of my 24 week old laying hens was she so disrespectful?by that i mean complaining about the price($15)."oh,i can get layers for 8 -10 dollars all day." i just let it go.but the more i thought about it the more irritated i became.i spent $3 dollars for the day old,raised them for 24 weeks with a high dollar feed and free range,not to mention all kinds of snacks from fresh cabbage to cooked sweet potatoes and she wants to give me $5?am i missing something or am the only 1 that has this problem?personally i am glad that she did not get them because about 15 minutes after she left the hens started taking their turns laying for the day [​IMG] (just as a sidenote she did buy the 10 dollar 15 week old hens from the gentleman down the row from me)

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    One word for her, El Cheapo. I know what you mean, I get calls from people and they say "you take 5 dollar?" I so no the ad says 15.00. Some people have no clue what it costs to raise a chicken to POL or older, especially if you were to figure in the losses.

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I sell veggies at a local farm market, and sell eggs there too. I had a gentleman come up and ask how much the eggs are, I told him $3 a dozen. I had already been dealing with cheap skates all day, so when he said 'kind of pricey, isn't it?' I didn't bat an eye and said 'so is their feed.' He laughed and bought 2 dozen.

I had an ad in the paper a few years ago selling ducks for $5 each. A one week ad in the paper cost $28, so I wouldn't have been making a whole lot. A lady called me and told me that she wanted 3 of them, then proceeded to let me know that for $5 each, she wanted them dressed and delivered! I politely declined. You run into all sorts...

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I know what you mean. I have a post on craigslist for 2 of my drakes for 5 dollars a piece. A lady from the next town over emails me asking if I'll take less cause of the price of gas to come get them so I said yeah I'll give you both for 7 dollars, then she emails asking me can I deliver. Really? Seriously? Yeah lady I'm gonna drop the price and deliver to you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    just tell the lady that you cant get 'these' layers for $10. a hen that is laying eggs in her prime is worth $15. i was at a swap and had some extra roosters. put a sign up that said 'young roosters for sale $5 today only'. had a guy offer to buy them all for $1 each. i told him that i would take them home and eat them before i would take less than $5 a piece for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by