Is this the same chicken?

Sweetheat

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
I thought that my buff Orpington had laid first and was the only one laying. I’d never seen any hens go into the coop so I couldn’t be sure. Her comb was just the most red.
60D44BB6-0975-4E62-BA96-623546943B7F.jpeg
I’ve been collecting her eggs on the coop floor or poop board. Gross. Hoping that if I make the nesting box more approachable they’d go in. I sprayed with lavender oil lightly. This morning I finally got a glimpse at a hen in the coop and she was in the nesting box for the first time. So exciting!! I was able to collect her egg from the roll out for the first time and it was awesome. BUT. It looks different than the other eggs I’ve collected! It’s got a very distinct pink bloom. The others have been light brown. So now I’m wondering if my speckled Sussex has been responsible for the others this whole time! The speckled went in the coop when the buff was in the nest to check out what was happening. If I find another egg on the coop floor today I’ll know for sure. Just curious others thoughts and hopefully if it IS the same hen that it’s not a problem that the bloom changed...

I have a one-year old that lays eggs with that pink bloom, but not all the time. If you wash the egg, the bloom will wash off. Compare then to the other eggs. It may be the same color minus the bloom.
Oh interesting! I’ll post an update later. All of the eggs in the picture are unwashed so it would be interesting if she was laying with the pink bloom only sometimes!

Mystery solved! That was fast haha. I just found another egg in the roll away box that was brown like the others so my speckled is the one that’s been laying this whole time!! The buff orp figures out to use the nest box her first time and the speckled was like “ohhhh that’s what that’s for” lol woo hoo! I’m excited because it’s our first day with 2 eggs in a day. 🥳

Back
Top Bottom