Is this too cold for them ?

New Mama Chicky

In the Brooder
May 21, 2020
I have 22 Cornish X chick ranging in ages from 4weeks to 5 weeks ,they have been outside for a little over a week now in temps of high 80s almost 90s but tonight the temp is suddenly dropping to 59 degrees should I be worried and bring them in or will they be fine ? I checked on them and they were huddled up together but they always sleep like that so I don't know what to do. Advice please

I would add a heat lamp if you have one, but depends on how long the 59 F temp will be I think they can manage to keep each other warm since there’s 20+ of them. I personally would add some heat though for ease of mind.

I have 22 Cornish X chick ranging in ages from 4weeks to 5 weeks ,they have been outside for a little over a week now in temps of high 80s almost 90s but tonight the temp is suddenly dropping to 59 degrees should I be worried and bring them in or will they be fine ? I checked on them and they were huddled up together but they always sleep like that so I don't know what to do. Advice please
If they are 4-5 weeks they should be fully feathered and not mind a 60 degree night at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

I have been having similar temps this week (unusual for here in June) and I am keeping chicks without a heat source. Although at night I put a gallon jug or 2 of hot water. I only do that if it gets below 65 at night which rarely happens in June here.

With CX the age you have, I wouldn't even give them heat in winter (mild winters here) by 4 or 5 weeks they thrive in cold and struggle with heat.

Get a few large card board box/tarp and cover the side of the run. This will help keep the cold air out and trap warm air in. And don't forget to remove when the sun out. I did this for few weeks and my chicks are fine.

I have my 3 week old Cornish X out on pasture now, was 9c (48f) yesterday night and 11c (52f) all day today, no issue for them. If you have a few of them (26 for me) they will keep warm no problem. These birds run hot as their metabolic rate is at full tilt.

Back
Top Bottom