Is this totally unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Morgan7782, May 24, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am on a very tight budget, but my mom and I would like to get a coop that would fit 3-5 hens. We have two pullets now, but are so in love with them we would like to get more. My budget is 200.00 dollars. Do you think I can find a coop to fit 3, 4 or 5 hens (I would prefer 4 or 5) for that price?

Second question: I have one coop that is 8 sq foot, for my two girls now. Would it be totally dumb to get another smallish (fit 2 or 3 birds) coop and bed them seperately at night? They will have a good sized run, and will be free ranged in the yard most of the day. I would be looking to get EE crossed or Ameracauna's. I have one EE and one Barred rock now.

Reiterate:

Can I find a coop to fit 3-5 standard hens for 200.00 dollars?

If not, could I house 2 hens in one coop and 2-3 hens in another coop at night? They will only be in at night, as our backyard has plenty of protection from the elements.

Thanks!

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Quote:You'll have to be frugal, strict about your budget, and/or good at recycling, but if you have some basic carpentry skills then yes, I believe you can build a coop that size for around $200. We just finished purchasing materials (all new, and almost all of them on sale) for our coop which will house 5 or 6 hens when finished and spent about $250 total. Granted, the run will probably be another $200 or so, but if you have a secure back yard and are able to let them have run of the yard then you don't really have to worry about that added cost.

If you're talking about finding a pre-built coop for that price, you'd have to be extremely lucky to find what you're looking for. You might be able to find a used garden shed or some similar structure that you could modify into a coop, but even those tend to run a little more than what your budget calls for.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I could see a 4 x 4 coop for that price. Be a bargain shopper...look for cheap materials on CraigsList. Do you guys have a Habitat For Humanity Resale Store out there??? Check places like that for materials as well. In my area, we have a Salvation Army Thrift Store that has a huge materials section. So look around for bargains.

** I think you would run into problems expecting the birds to go into separate coops each night...I don't think they would do it. I'm guessing your current coop is 2 x 4?? Would it be possible to take out a side and expand it to 4 x 4 to save on materials? Or recycle the wood you can out of it to use in the new coop.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you both for your input! I have no skills at building, but I have a wonderful Dad, and even friends Dad who could help me out. I will look into building it myself. I live in a surburban area, backyard is very secure and I have a large run, big enough for 5-6 hens. The only issue I have is the coop. I will check out a Humanity resale store, and will talk to the building friendly people around me to see if I can gather some help. I wish I could spent 4/500 dollars on a coop [​IMG]

My current coop is 2 x 4, and it is a huge dog crate base with plywood to cut out drafts and seal for predetors. Hardware cloth was added to any openings, such as the crate door. Thanks for the input though, I will avoid two coops [​IMG] I wouldn't want to stress them out by seperating the flock every night too.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Also, check to see if you have freecycle.org in your area. It's like Craigs List but everything is free.
    We got a lot of our materials from friends who had leftovers from projects, from driving by a construction site and asking for leftover materials and from freecycle & Craigs List. The only things we bought new were the hardware cloth, insulation, siding and the latches & hinges.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    That is a good idea about checking construction sites, thanks! I will look over freecycle as well. This is looking more positive for me yaaaaay!

7. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Another way to save and save big is go to lowe's or home depot in your area and ask if they have any cull lumber they usually make great deals on cull to get rid of it i built a 8x16 building for 250 dollars but it took me a little time gathering the stuff.

8. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    I had a 6x6 coop built for around 180. I purchased most of the lumber then used pallet wood for the walls. I got some of my supplies at restore. i had a student at the local college build it for me for free.

9. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    You absolutely can build a coop for 5-6 hens for $200. You'll have to find a base to start with...something like a large dog house. And you will have to network to find the things you will need at reduced cost or free. Starting with a basic list of what you will need. Deck screws, hinges, eye hooks, lumber, shingles, tar paper, siding. I think you would be amazed at how many people have one or two of these components and would be happy to get rid of them.
    Also keep in mind that not all coops are built from new lumber. I've seen some that started out as kitchen base cabinets.

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh this is so great! I was expecting a big fat "NO you need to spend 4-500 dollars". Yay! I see the light at the end of the tunnel! I will ask Home Depot and Lowes about cull lumbar as well, there is one right around the corner from me. What sort of pieces would be good to get? If plywood, how thick? Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by