Is this vent gleet or just a poopy butt? (Gross pics warning)

KaseySnow

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Golden, Colorado
I noticed one of the Welsummer hens at the coop I volunteer with has had some poop stuck to her butt fluff below the vent for a few days now.

I thought it would fall off or she'd clean it like they usually do when this happens, but today it looked like more was stuck higher up by the vent.
20210411_122700.jpg

My plan is to clean it off by soaking her butt in warm soapy water and then wiping it away with paper towels and/or trimming feathers as needed. I will then spray her vent with vetericyn just in case, though I don't see any red flesh currently.

Anything else I should do/any thoughts? Here's another pic with a slightly closer view if that helps:
20210410_070751.jpg

After washing and cleaning her butt and trimming back the fluff, I would

Thanks for the tips! I'll check and see when the last time they were de-wormed was, I didn't even think of that.

Are there any particular vitamins you recommend? They have a complete layer feed that should be giving them all of the vitamins and nutrients they need, but if you don't think it will hurt them I'll do it. They share water and I have nowhere to isolate her, so it would have to go in everyone's water.

Unfortunately it's been too cold since Sunday to do anything about it, we're getting snow all week now, ugh. Hopefully she'll make it to the weekend when it's supposed to warm up again. I hate to just grab her and pull the stuff off without wetting the feathers, but I'm afraid of making her too cold since I'd only be able to towel her off.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check and see when the last time they were de-wormed was, I didn't even think of that.

Are there any particular vitamins you recommend? They have a complete layer feed that should be giving them all of the vitamins and nutrients they need, but if you don't think it will hurt them I'll do it. They share water and I have nowhere to isolate her, so it would have to go in everyone's water.

Unfortunately it's been too cold since Sunday to do anything about it, we're getting snow all week now, ugh. Hopefully she'll make it to the weekend when it's supposed to warm up again. I hate to just grab her and pull the stuff off without wetting the feathers, but I'm afraid of making her too cold since I'd only be able to towel her off.
Worms deprive the chickens (and other species infested by them) of essential nutrients and vitamins, so after deworming them thoroughly, three days of poultry vitamins will help to compensate the loss and cause no harm to those that were not infested or otherwise deficient.
https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

Until being able to give her a nice warm butt-bath, you could just trim some of the soiled fluff. This will also help to prevent more poop to get stuck.

Are there any particular vitamins you recommend?
The supplement should contain Vitamin B complex, A, D3+K and E. Others are optional and some also provide electrolytes etc.

With warmer temperatures it is helpful to add some organic ACV to their drinking water, but no longer than for three consecutive days.

This will help to reduce the bacterial growth in the water dishes.

Thanks so much!

The only other possible diarrhea source I can think of is that we have some chick feed we are trying to use up, so it's been mixed in with the layer feed we are giving them. Could eating that be causing these issues? I thought chick feed was more or less the same except less calcium, and they do have access to lots of oyster shells to counteract this, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The supplement should contain Vitamin B complex, A, D3+K and E. Others are optional and some also provide electrolytes etc.
I have some Country Life liquid vitamins with all natural vitamin sources (plants, fruits, etc). Will this help in the meantime until I can get other vitamins to put in their water? I was thinking I could mix it in with the Moro's carrot soup. Or is this vitamin liquid bad for chickens? The only vitamin on your list that it doesn't appear to have is vitamin K.

1618706673986.png

It was warmish and sunny with no wind this afternoon, so I went ahead and soaked her bum as soon as I got off work. Hung out for a while and she seemed okay, got most of it off except for a few tiny bits in the feathers and a very small lump near the vent that seemed quite attached to the skin, but it should not obstruct any future poop.

Still following up on the de-wormer to see when they were last treated for worms. The museum who owns this flock is in the middle of a changing of hands for the park these girls live in. The new person in charge doesn't know how recently they were de-wormed, but is looking into it.

I know they have at least one annual vet visit with the flock and am hoping de-wormer is administered during that time, but I will find out. Dunno how often chickens should be treated for worms.

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

The only other possible diarrhea source I can think of is that we have some chick feed we are trying to use up, so it's been mixed in with the layer feed we are giving them. Could eating that be causing these issues? I thought chick feed was more or less the same except less calcium, and they do have access to lots of oyster shells to counteract this, but correct me if I'm wrong.
You could look at the date of manufacture and smell the chick feed, it might already be off. Other than that, the difference might be higher protein levels.

I have some Country Life liquid vitamins with all natural vitamin sources (plants, fruits, etc). Will this help in the meantime until I can get other vitamins to put in their water? I was thinking I could mix it in with the Moro's carrot soup. Or is this vitamin liquid bad for chickens? The only vitamin on your list that it doesn't appear to have is vitamin K.
This would do, but rather add it to the drinking water according to the instructions on the label.
What I do not like about it, are these added artificial flavours, but that's just me. :p

I know they have at least one annual vet visit with the flock and am hoping de-wormer is administered during that time, but I will find out. Dunno how often chickens should be treated for worms.

This usually depends on the climate, grounds the chickens forage on, numbers of chickens, their age and overall health. Deworming twice a year will usually suffice.

I deworm my flock at least two times per year: In the spring prior to collecting hatching eggs and setting broodies, and in autumn.
In very wet years we will have a lot more snails that are known to be alternate hosts, so I will already deworm the chicks as early as 6-8 weeks old to prevent stunted growth etc.

These chickens are very lucky to have you taking such dedicated care of them! :thumbsup

This would do, but rather add it to the drinking water according to the instructions on the label.
What I do not like about it, are these added artificial flavours, but that's just me. :p
Yeeeeahh...it's definitely made to be mixed in with smoothies, haha. Hoping it'll be a good interim solution as long as none of those added flavors hurt the hens.

This usually depends on the climate, grounds the chickens forage on, numbers of chickens, their age and overall health. Deworming twice a year will usually suffice.

I deworm my flock at least two times per year: In the spring prior to collecting hatching eggs and setting broodies, and in autumn.
In very wet years we will have a lot more snails that are known to be alternate hosts, so I will already deworm the chicks as early as 6-8 weeks old to prevent stunted growth etc.

These chickens are very lucky to have you taking such dedicated care of them! :thumbsup
Very good info to know, I'll be sure to advise the museum if they aren't already de-worming twice a year. We live in a dry climate at high altitude, I wonder if that lowers the risk of worms at all. Not a lot of bugs in general around here most of the time unless you're standing next to a body of water. Then again, we have scaly leg mites and lice that we are fighting in the coop right now, so we sure aren't totally immune, haha.

Thanks so much for all of the info and help! I really wouldn't be able to care for them at all without advice from people like you here on BYC! You all are truly lifesavers!

Poopy butts can be common without vent gleet. Any runny or watery poops can cling to feathers and then that can become a place that catches more. Lice eggs can be a another thing that poop will cling to. I have had a few hens who always seem to have a poopy vent.

Vent gleet signs are a bad odor, constant runny urates coming out, an irritated or burned skin with missing feathers, and a chicken who seems unwell. I like this first article except for the treatment recommendations and the second article is good as well:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/vent-gleet

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/

Back
Top Bottom