Is this vent gleet or something else? Looks a little like some other pics I’ve seen here but not completely.

Today is day 3 since ending the clavamox. She's still got poopy butt, mostly urates albeit not as bad as before and is only pooping a little at a time. She eats. I have probiotics in one waterer and in the food. Been that way for a week.

I have switched treatment to possible sour crop thanks to antibiotics killing all bacteria. Last night; I noticed she was holding her head in and not interested in treats like normal. The crop felt squishy. When I massaged it, she opened her beak and appeared to burp like. I did not smell anything though. She became interested in the softened food I had offered after she burped. I gave her some of the miconozole orally. I do not feel anything hard around her vent or abdomen.

I have ordered acidified copper sulfate from a poultry store and paid for the overnight shipping.

My wife checked her this morning and she was eating but when resting; kept her head close to her body.

I had shared with the vet everything that was going on and anything yeast related was chalked up to normal because of the small amount in the fecal and was instead treated for antibacterial. I asked about the poopy butt etc but was told it was not vent gleet and what she had was not contagious. I had them look at another chicken last year for a wellness and was told it needed clavamox as well. It made the chicken sicker and I stopped and she perked right back up and months later she is fine.

I am not saying that they pushed meds that weren't needed like the last vet we used to take our dogs to but I think I should have treated for yeast like I wanted to orally. I also found it odd that when I asked for Nystatin for water adding if needed for the flock; they told me I would have to bring each chicken in individually in order for them to administer the meds because of how much it would take. That would have been thousands of dollars if they charged me the same amount for each chicken.

I am going to be very upset with myself if she doesn't recover and the antibacterial meds caused a massive outbreak of yeast infection.

This hen has been my sidekick since she came a year ago. She gets up on my shoulder and is always the first one to come see me. I am going to be very, very upset. She is the one on my arm in the picture on my profile.

Had someone go and check her. She's up and walking around with her head up so not dire yet. I am going to make sure she's drinking water when I get home. I will soften some food and see if she'll eat it. I'll have someone hold her while I investigate the vent area again. My even stick my finger in there a little ways to feel I'll dose with the miconazole cream orally.

Just got home from work. She’s up and active. The runny poop drops have hardened a little but are still small; size of a penny. Her vent isn’t red but still seems to be inflamed a little. I’ll clean it again tonight. I’ve been applying the miconazole there for two weeks, once a day. I’m afraid of overdosing her on it.

Overall she’s not acting any different than the last 2 weeks. Whew.

I am waiting on the acidified copper sulfate.

Her vent area moves in and out like she’s breathing. Is that what that is since her vent feathers aren’t fluffy you can see it?

She ate some mash tonight and was lively. That makes me happy. Still drainage of urates. Cleaned it and got the crusty stuff out of the vent as much as I could. Applied the cream, gave her a second dose orally. Saw her poop and it was bigger and formed. So hopefully rounding a corner here.

Checked other vents and trimmed feathers. One hen had diarrhea earlier in the week but that subsided. She’s also a very new layer. Two tiny eggs today. No white discharge or crust on her but treated with miconazole anyway.

I’ve got the acidified copper sulfate coming tomorrow. I overnighted it. Is it safe to add to water for everyone?

What are its uses? Google is crap help.

I read dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. Is that correct?

Also; nothing hard around vent other than her hips I believe. Was uniform on both sides so assume normal. (I’m new, cut me some slack).

For those who’ve attempted to help; thank you. I think I’ve read almost every thread on this here and am trying to do everything I’m reading in between work and everything else. I feel like I’ve totally let these chickens down for getting complacent.

Back
Top Bottom