Is this vent gleet? (Warning: includes pictures)

Thank you @casportpony and @azygous
I didn’t realise metronidazole wasn’t approved for chickens.

So she’s only had 1 dose of nearly 100mg so far, so I’ll reduce from now on. I think it might be worth trying for a few days, even if it only treats certain causes. I do wonder if it stems from the few lash eggs she laid.

I’m not sure what it could be if not vent gleet - any other ideas?

Messy vent discharges are hard to diagnose. At least this chicken keeper is often puzzled by these messy butts that won't respond to attempts to treat them. It's one reason why I decided to feed fermented feed, getting those probiotics into their systems.

I have two hens right now with white, chalky discharges that harden into a chalky, cement-like crud just under the vents. No odor, although I've treated with an anti-yeast cream internally and externally along with periodic washings. I have even used Medistatin (Nystatin) to no effect.

I'm as puzzled as anyone who faces this issue.

Messy vent discharges are hard to diagnose. At least this chicken keeper is often puzzled by these messy butts that won't respond to attempts to treat them. It's one reason why I decided to feed fermented feed, getting those probiotics into their systems.

I have two hens right now with white, chalky discharges that harden into a chalky, cement-like crud just under the vents. No odor, although I've treated with an anti-yeast cream internally and externally along with periodic washings. I have even used Medistatin (Nystatin) to no effect.

I'm as puzzled as anyone who faces this issue.
Thanks again... it sounds like it may just be one of those things! 🤷🏽‍♀️

She did seem to have this discharge some time ago but it cleared up by itself. She is in a small flock, and we have a cockerel, but she is the only one affected. I was thinking of trying an anti-fungal cream like canistan, having read that it can be like thrush. Maybe I’ll see how she gets on with the antibiotic for a few days first.

Back
Top Bottom