Is this Water belly

Abby125

Songster
Apr 12, 2018
so I got a adult hen two years ago and after I got her I started seeing she has the huge mass under her vent and I looked it up a saw water belly it sounds like what she has but I don’t know but I’m the last six months it has shrunk it was the size of a softball now its a little bigger than a golf ball and I have read that water belly is incurable and that they stop laying but she is still laying I hatched eggs of hers this year

so I got a adult hen two years ago and after I got her I started seeing she has the huge mass under her vent and I looked it up a saw water belly it sounds like what she has but I don’t know but I’m the last six months it has shrunk it was the size of a softball now its a little bigger than a golf ball and I have read that water belly is incurable and that they stop laying but she is still laying I hatched eggs of hers this year
Can you post some photos of your hen?
Tell us what it feels like - hard, soft, squishy, fluid filled.
What type of food/treats do you feed?

A mass can be just about anything from fat to fluid.
There is no cure for reproductive problems, but if she is still laying eggs, is active, eating/drinking then i would leave her be.

Can you post some photos of your hen?
Tell us what it feels like - hard, soft, squishy, fluid filled.
What type of food/treats do you feed?

A mass can be just about anything from fat to fluid.
There is no cure for reproductive problems, but if she is still laying eggs, is active, eating/drinking then i would leave her be.
Yeah it’s squishy and I feed her scratch grain all flock mix I haven’t really done anything with her I was thinking about trying to drain a little but I didn’t end up doing it

Yeah it’s squishy and I feed her scratch grain all flock mix I haven’t really done anything with her I was thinking about trying to drain a little but I didn’t end up doing it
Unless she is having difficult walking, her comb is turning purple, she's in respiratory distress, etc. I would not attempt to drain her.
Draining can be beneficial in giving some relief if there is fluid in the belly, but you do risk infection.
As long as she's dong fine - it sounds like she is - then I would just keep a close watch on her.

Can you explain the scratch grain all flock mix? Is that a brand or is it a formulated balanced poultry feed?

Unless she is having difficult walking, her comb is turning purple, she's in respiratory distress, etc. I would not attempt to drain her.
Draining can be beneficial in giving some relief if there is fluid in the belly, but you do risk infection.
As long as she's dong fine - it sounds like she is - then I would just keep a close watch on her.

Can you explain the scratch grain all flock mix? Is that a brand or is it a formulated balanced poultry feed?
Yeah she’s all good and no it’s not a brand a just mix scratch grain with all flock I just started doing it they free range too

Yeah she’s all good and no it’s not a brand a just mix scratch grain with all flock I just started doing it they free range too
You may want to keep the scratch grains separate from the all flock. Scratch is just that, scratch - it's a treat and not a complete balanced feed so you only want to give a small amount. The all flock is where the nutrition, protein, vitamins/minerals come from.

fwiw - too much scratch can make birds fat - fat accumulates in the abdomen and around the organs, can cause difficulty when laying eggs and can lead to fatty liver disease as well.

You may want to keep the scratch grains separate from the all flock. Scratch is just that, scratch - it's a treat and not a complete balanced feed so you only want to give a small amount. The all flock is where the nutrition, protein, vitamins/minerals come from.

fwiw - too much scratch can make birds fat - fat accumulates in the abdomen and around the organs, can cause difficulty when laying eggs and can lead to fatty liver disease as well.
Ok thank you

Back
Top Bottom