Is this what I think it is?

LRG

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Lancaster county, PA
Last week, much to my shock and dismay, my daughters' beloved Mrs. Stripes cock-a-doodle-dooed right in my face! Told "her" to stop it, but she did it again twice! Looked at her close and it should have been obvious all along, but "she" is really a Mr. Stripes, right? Looked like a little hawk when a chick (chipmunk stripes like a lot of our other chicks). He is now 22 weeks old and has only crowed about five times starting last week, so he's a very quiet roo. (Yes, he has been exposed to other rooster sounds -- neighbors have 3 very noisy crow-all-day-long banty brahmans. Will he crow more as he gets older?) No spurs or wattles on Stripes, but pointy saddle feathers. Since we ordered all hens (Speckled Sussex, Black Australorp, Easter Eggers) and he's obviously (even to a newby like me) not a Sussex or Australorp, is he an EE or something else? See pix below. Doesn't look like any of the other EE's in the order, but maybe because he is the only roo in the lot?

Sadly, Mr. Stripes is going to have to go (hubby doesn't want a "free-loader") and want to be able to accurately tell people what he is. Thanks for the help!

Lisa

41388_stripes.jpg

Stripes--side view
41388_stripes2.jpg

Stripes--closeup of head
41388_hens.jpg

Other hens -- EE and Australorp in back, two Sussex in front

I can take more pix if these aren't clear enough -- don't mind chasing them around the yard some more! LOL

Beloved Stripes is a Mr. EE. He is handsome.

hugs.gif
for your daughter.

Roos are great for your flock - don't think of him as a freeloader. He will look after the girls, break up flock disputes, find tasty treats, look for threats. He works hard to be sure that "his girls" have what they need to produce eggs.

Course if he turns out to be a total brat - roast chicken, BBQ chicken, Chick and dumplings - they are all good too.

Bummer! He is the best-trained of the chickens and always comes at a run when I call. Very gentle as he is used to being petted and hand-fed by my 6- and 9-yr-old daughters. Such a pretty boy! If he stays quiet maybe I can convince the hubby to let him stay.

Back
Top Bottom