1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this white Leghorn rooster showable?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by josie705, Feb 1, 2017.

1. josie705

josie705 Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Would you consider him decent show quality? I would like to show him for fun. I just picked him up, it's dark and he's already in the quarantine pen so I'm really sorry about the picture quality. I will post more tomorrow. I believe that the comb is really important, how would you say the shape of his comb is?

He is a young rooster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

If you just want to do showmanship, then any chicken is showable. Showmanship judges the handler's knowledge and how well they handle the bird. He looks like a hatchery pearl white to me; if you wanted to enter him in "the other end of showing" (forget what the name for it is) I doubt he would place.

3. josie705

josie705 Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    I thought a white pearl was a normal white Leghorn?

4. josie705

josie705 Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017

I thought a pearl white was a normal white Leghorn?

5. PeepersMama

A pearl white is a hatchery strain of leghorn that's breed strictly for egg production. Unless he has English leghorn in him somewhere, that comb looks like a hatchery bird to me.

Try to find someone who breeds good quality leghorns, and is a member with the APA. That's the best place to get show chickens. You should be able to find someone on the internet who has a website or Facebook/Twitter page. Most breeders sell either young birds, chicks, or hatching eggs.

6. josie705

josie705 Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017

Oh wow! I never knew that! Thanks much!

7. PeepersMama

You are most welcome! I love talking about breeds [​IMG]

8. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ

PeepersMama gave great advice. Go to a show when you get a chance and look at the leghorns there - huge difference. You might want to think about joining the APA and getting the Standard of Perfection - it has all the characteristics that a leghorn is judged on and it'll help you spot a winner from poor quality birds, and believe me, most are poor quality. It might take a little while to find a good breeder but the APA will also send you a copy of their yearbook which has a lot of breeder ads and listings in it and is a great source in and of itself. Also you could subscribe to Poultry Press which is a monthly newspaper listing all the shows and it also contains breeder ads. Just wanted to pass that along if you're interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by