Is this wire mesh suitable for chicken run?

Spetznaaz

Chirping
Hello,

I can't seem to find a definitive answer online about which mesh to use. We have two Silkies that will be kept in a run in the day, which currently has chicken wire on it which i know won't keep much out. I found this and the price is good, does this look suitable to keep the girls safe? It's 1.2mm wire diameter / 18 gauge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amagabeli-...3870&sprefix=18+gauge+mesh,aps,76&sr=8-5&th=1

We live in the U.K so don't have raccoons or snakes or anything like that. At the moment it's the cats which keeps trying to eat them and i'd imagine possibly foxes could be a problem although i've never seen any about.

Many Thanks!

Thank you - Do you think the thickness of the wire itself is okay? Any thicker and it seem to be three time the price.

I was planning to bury two concrete blocks deep all the way around the run, so probably about a foot deep i think, then bolt the bottom of the run on top of the blocks. Do you think that would be enough to prevent any digging? It's just if not it means buying two of those rolls.

Cheers

For US folks, that is roughly 3'x50' with 1/2" holes. Yes, it appears to be hardware cloth which is excellent protection against anything but mice (an annoyance) and large animals (bears/pigs/etc).

@Spetznaaz - That is excellent protection fencing. If you wish to hold down costs, then you can go with a lesser fencing above this 0.9m fence.

Thank you - Do you think the thickness of the wire itself is okay? Any thicker and it seem to be three time the price.

I was planning to bury two concrete blocks deep all the way around the run, so probably about a foot deep i think, then bolt the bottom of the run on top of the blocks. Do you think that would be enough to prevent any digging? It's just if not it means buying two of those rolls.

Cheers
I would think 2 blocks deep might work. But it also couldn’t hurt to go ahead and put a skirt on it. But that is just me. Trying to always go above and beyond. For myself, you can’t over protect.

I would think 2 blocks deep might work. But it also couldn’t hurt to go ahead and put a skirt on it. But that is just me. Trying to always go above and beyond. For myself, you can’t over protect.
This is me too! More protection the better. I mean chicken will die but I don't want to go out to a murder scene.

This is me too! More protection the better. I mean chicken will die but I don't want to go out to a murder scene.
Agreed! And I just had that happen to me 2 days ago. 12 ducks and 6 baby chicks, torn to pieces, and by my own dog. So even though we had the dog secured away from them….if they are determined to get to them, they will. Granted she was a Husky, and they are notorious for being smart and predator. But any predator will find a way in if given any chance. Always better to go above and beyond. When you think you got it all, you probably don’t. Paying attention to any attempts of a break in might be able to stop it if you catch it and fix it.

Unfortunately, sometimes you don’t catch it because the predator made it through before giving up. Like what happened to me.

Agreed! And I just had that happen to me 2 days ago. 12 ducks and 6 baby chicks, torn to pieces, and by my own dog. So even though we had the dog secured away from them….if they are determined to get to them, they will. Granted she was a Husky, and they are notorious for being smart and predator. But any predator will find a way in if given any chance. Always better to go above and beyond. When you think you got it all, you probably don’t. Paying attention to any attempts of a break in might be able to stop it if you catch it and fix it.

Unfortunately, sometimes you don’t catch it because the predator made it through before giving up. Like what happened to me.
Wow! I'm so sorry!

Back
Top Bottom