Is this wry neck?

HorseGirlAbby

🌷 Welcome spring! 🌷
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2021
Eastern WA
I had no idea which forum to put this in, as it's not an emergency. Ever since she was a little chick, my Delaware has had a crooked neck. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with it, but it's bent at an abnormal angle, and she can't straighten it. She is four years old, eats, drinks, sleeps, poops, lays eggs, and is a normal chicken, except for the fact that she can't groom herself, other than her neck and wings. As a result, she over-grooms, and pulls out her own feathers. So, I guess what I want to know is:
Is this wry neck, or something else?
Will it affect her chicks if I hatch her eggs?
Here are a couple of pictures of her.
IMG_4566.JPG
IMG_4664.JPG
IMG_2140.JPG

She is the sweetest hen I have, and not in pain at all, so any advice about culling her will be politely ignored.

I'm not sure if it is wry neck or not. She also has a tail bend it looks like. I personally would not hatch eggs from her in case it's genetic. Wry neck is usually nutritional I believe, but can be caused by trauma, and be inherited.

Nothing wrong with a special needs chicken. I've had them myself.

I had no idea which forum to put this in, as it's not an emergency. Ever since she was a little chick, my Delaware has had a crooked neck. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with it, but it's bent at an abnormal angle, and she can't straighten it. She is four years old, eats, drinks, sleeps, poops, lays eggs, and is a normal chicken,

I stopped reading after that.

I'm not sure if it is wry neck or not. She also has a tail bend it looks like. I personally would not hatch eggs from her in case it's genetic. Wry neck is usually nutritional I believe, but can be caused by trauma, and be inherited.

Nothing wrong with a special needs chicken. I've had them myself.
Yes, she holds her tail like that to balance out her neck. If it was from nutrition, wouldn't her flock mates have issues as well? She was one of ten chicks raised together, and no one else has had problems.

Yes, she holds her tail like that to balance out her neck. If it was from nutrition, wouldn't her flock mates have issues as well? She was one of ten chicks raised together, and no one else has had problems.
Wry neck is one of those hit and miss deficiencies. My guess is those they get it have other underlying issues. Also if a hen has deficiencies when she lays an egg that chick will hatch behind.

Wry neck is one of those hit and miss deficiencies. My guess is those they get it have other underlying issues. Also if a hen has deficiencies when she lays an egg that chick will hatch behind.
Thank you so much for your help! I'm guessing I'll never know for sure what's wrong with her, but she's a happy little hen, and she'll live out the rest of her days in peace.

Back
Top Bottom