Is too weeks old too young to send them to the coop?

gardenknitter

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
They are getting big and stinky in the house in their brooder. Some are closer to 2 1/2 weeks old. The coop is small, has a small fenced yard (top fenced too) and they would have a light for heat. We'll keep them there until they are ready to roam. I can't for the life of me remember how old the one we got last fall were when we put them out, but they did fine. Think it would be ok? I could tarp the top of the yard if getting wet might be an issue. Thanks!!
smile.png
ETA that they'll have the coop to themselves.

Last edited:
well sounds good but they can squeeze through chicken wire so you might want to put some hardwire cloth on the botton fence. and they are delicate so they need their lamp unless its hot outside. and somewhere i read that they need 8 weeks in the brooder. sooo:idunno if theyll be ready to the temp drops between night and day.

I think they need to be fully feathered before you can put them out. Can you find a spot that is less intrusive for you yet still sheltered? Mine are 3.5 weeks and still have some fluff even though they are big and don't need a light for warmth with our temps.

Back
Top Bottom