Is Tractor Supply Wrong?

I had three broad breasted whites I gave the Tom’s to my neighbor because their little girl loved them and I couldn’t keep them out of the road. They are living their best life with a donkey now. I still have the hen which is my avatar picture. I have also known several people that have raised them for meat from what I have seen the difference between free range and not is night and day if you can free range then they will be happy and healthy now they aren’t gonna live too long either way but free range gives them the best shot in my experience.

With that being said they get real big like no joke big. The Tom’s are big lovable idiots and you have to keep them away from the road but they are great pets and very loving.

I had three broad breasted whites I gave the Tom’s to my neighbor because their little girl loved them and I couldn’t keep them out of the road. They are living their best life with a donkey now. I still have the hen which is my avatar picture. I have also known several people that have raised them for meat from what I have seen the difference between free range and not is night and day if you can free range then they will be happy and healthy now they aren’t gonna live too long either way but free range gives them the best shot in my experience.

With that being said they get real big like no joke big. The Tom’s are big lovable idiots and you have to keep them away from the road but they are great pets and very loving.
Do you monitor how much food she gets or do you have food accessible all day? i see different ways people try and mot let them get so big they have to be culled.

Do you monitor how much food she gets or do you have food accessible all day? i see different ways people try and mot let them get so big they have to be culled.
She can get to it but quite frankly if she is out of the coop she isn’t eating her food. She is currently broody so she spends some extra time in there however she is sitting on eggs and not eating. In my experience her and the Tom’s when I had them (they’ve only been gone a week or so) tend to literally always be looking for things to get in too. Since the boys are gone she has been working on clearing a creek bank that her and my chickens decided had too much brush on it. Next week they will be on to something else they are naturally very curious creatures and as long as they have something to occupy them they won’t overeat.

She can get to it but quite frankly if she is out of the coop she isn’t eating her food. She is currently broody so she spends some extra time in there however she is sitting on eggs and not eating. In my experience her and the Tom’s when I had them (they’ve only been gone a week or so) tend to literally always be looking for things to get in too. Since the boys are gone she has been working on clearing a creek bank that her and my chickens decided had too much brush on it. Next week they will be on to something else they are naturally very curious creatures and as long as they have something to occupy them they won’t overeat.
This is good to hear. I always had bourbon reds and they followed us around all day and were always on the move. I keep reading that BBWs are lazy and over eat til they reach an unlivable health. How old are yours?

They are right at a year old.
Did you house all 3 of them together? I housed my male and female bbr together but i am reading that the bbw males should be housed together and females separate. I am guessing I have 2 males and 1 female but obviously wont really know for awhile. We are building their coop as we speak and need to make accommodations if needed for 3 coops (1 chicken and 2 turkeys). Thanks for all your info. No better way to learn but from others that have done it :)

Did you house all 3 of them together? I housed my male and female bbr together but i am reading that the bbw males should be housed together and females separate. I am guessing I have 2 males and 1 female but obviously wont really know for awhile. We are building their coop as we speak and need to make accommodations if needed for 3 coops (1 chicken and 2 turkeys). Thanks for all your info. No better way to learn but from others that have done it :)
I kept them together they will try to mate her but they can’t really accomplish it if you free range them she can get away. If you aren’t then I would probably have them separate

Back
Top Bottom