1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is traveling with chicks bad for them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GiGi123, Dec 25, 2010.

1. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Hi,
    Merry Christmas to all.
    I'm sorry to bother anyone on a holiday but i was wondering if i can bring my chicks with me to Christmas at someone else's home?
    How can i heat the brooder in the car???

thank you and happy holidays,
    Gigi

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    They should be fine. I doubt you'll need the heat lamp if its a short drive... Is it? Maybe you can plug it into the car somehow but that'd be a hell of a lot of power...

3. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    If you're somewhere cold, warm the car up well and then put them in. If it's going to be a long drive and the travel box will fit on the front floorboard, you can put them there with the heat coming out the floorboard vents. You can also travel with hand warmer packs under a little shavings and they'll huddle around that heat source. I've made 5 hour trips with babies like this bringing them back from my buddies. In the spring once it gets warm, walmart and other stores have ridiculously low sales on those handwarmer packs, stock up then on them. Those little packs come in handy for lots of chick issues.

4. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    thank you so much for the help.

the ride isn't that long so i suppose the chicks will be fine.

happy holidays,

Gigi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by