Is using a mister to cool all afternoon ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by barbieszoo, Jul 12, 2011.

1. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    I lost a dear silkie hen yesterday to the heat up in the coop and I am so sad. She went in to lay an egg, and she always tended to stay up there once she would go up, since she didn't really like using the ramp. I bought a cobra style mister stand and set it out there today, and my one remaining silkie girl (I am planning to get her another friend just as soon as I can get one) seems to love the mist. She isn't panting anymore but is all wet and muddy (took a dust/mud bath) and she just likes to stand around under it. Is there any reason that it's not wise to keep that mister on her area all afternoon every day in this 100+ heat? She can get away from it under the coop if she wants to, but her entire run is getting muddy and she is all wet. It seems to be cooling a little even inside the coop. Anyone else use a mister?
    Thanks, Kristy

2. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I use a mister for my leghorn and RIR and they seem to love it!

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I turn mine on anywhere from noon to 3 in the afternoon. then shut it off by 7:30 in the evening.. that gives them time to dry off before the sun sets .. never had one get chilled that way when the temps drop at night and the ground is still cool enough for them to be comfortable

4. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    so sorry for the loss of your hen! [​IMG]

when it's hovering around 100, I always turn the misters on for the peeps. they can go in the coop to get out of the mist, and I also give mine the option of free ranging in the yard. (I'm a teacher, so I'm home in the summer.) they seem to love standing in the puddles, getting soggy feathers. I turn it off around dinnertime, and never see any drippy chicks at bedtime.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm going to try a mister...who carries them? Home Depot? Tractor Supply?

6. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    I got my mister from Home Depot. It is acutally a mister for a person but works for my girls even if they are terrified of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by