Is Verbena Bonariensis Quail-Safe?

theflowermom

Hatching
Jan 24, 2023
Hey all,

As a flower farmer, I have lots of leftover flower and herb offcuts that I'd like to recycle into my quail enclosure as litter or stem hidey hole teepees etc. I'm using the deep litter method and trying to make their habitat as safe and comfortable as possible.

I have read up on the benefits of certain flowers and herbs, read all the toxic plant posts for quails and chickens, but I still have a few questions about the safety of certain flowers, listed below:

Verbena Bonariensis
Queen Anne's Lace
Statice
Strawflower
Kangaroo Paw Fern

Already established as safe:
Sunflowers
Basil
Mint
Bee Balm
Rudbeckia
Marigold
Nasturtium

Can anyone weigh in on including stems, leaves ,or petals of these around my quail?

Verbena (sp) grows wild in most states in North America, it grows wild in my pens. I haven't had any problems, so I can't tell you if it's toxic but either my birds know that and leave it alone....or they nibble on it and it doesn't harm them.

Verbena (sp) grows wild in most states in North America, it grows wild in my pens. I haven't had any problems, so I can't tell you if it's toxic but either my birds know that and leave it alone....or they nibble on it and it doesn't harm them.
Thank you! Any feedback on the other items?

Thank you very much - I'm mostly concerned about introducing dried plant matter in their enclosure and having them nibble at it, or being exposed to any toxins. Any feedback on the other flowers?

Part of my quail journey is trying to involve them in the waste management cycle of the flower farm. If they can benefit from flower and veggie waste, and the farm can benefit from quail compost, I'll be very pleased!

Back
Top Bottom