ISA Brown is really sick!

Caitie121

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
Hi, my first post bare with me.

My chicken is Muriel, she is just over a year old, she's an ISA Brown. In November she got coccidiosis and I took her to the vet and we got her all better. Here we are and she's sick again. She went to bed totally normal on Sunday night. Monday I found her sitting out in the yard and I thought she was dust bathing but when I went up to her she didn't get up. She finally stood up but fell forward/to the side flapped her wings and tilted her head a lot. Took her to the vet, no worms and no coccidiosis. He gave her a shot of another, sent me with Sulpha just in case, told me to get vitamins and see what happens.

The next day she seemed a bit better. Walking around, still tilting her head. She also laid a regular egg and also a soft shelled egg right afterwards.

Wednesday she was less ok, still walking around but a little more wobbly. She's alert though and eating/drinking.

Today she's not walking at all, though she can. She still wobbles, head is more tilted than it was before. She seems tired. However, her eyes look good, she perks up and will eat and drink.

I ordered selenium because nowhere near me had it, hoping it gets here on time. Vet said it could be any number of things. I'm most worried about Marek's but she's not showing signs of paralysis, both legs and feet respond to stimuli.

:( I don't know what to do for her.

Attachments

• PXL_20220712_005254616.jpg
    PXL_20220712_005254616.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 15
Give her ears a check for an ear infection. It'll look like yellow crusty cheese. This will help confirm, or rule it out.

Yeah...I don't see anything. But I did notice the side she keeps tilting her head to she keeps closing that eye (it does open, but if i tilt it she closes it) and her lobes are turning white but look normal red on the other side.

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_200652457.jpg
    PXL_20220714_200652457.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 4
Yeah...I don't see anything. But I did notice the side she keeps tilting her head to she keeps closing that eye (it does open, but if i tilt it she closes it) and her lobes are turning white but look normal red on the other side.
I'm not quite sure what's going on with her.

She could be suffering a vitamin deficiency, or a couple. So, vitamin therapy could be used.
I've been giving Nutridrench daily. I ordered Selenium with vit E, nowhere near me had any. I'm not sure what else to give. She'll eat her food some, and I've given scrambled eggs with shells in it.

I've been giving Nutridrench daily. I ordered Selenium with vit E, nowhere near me had any. I'm not sure what else to give. She'll eat her food some, and I've given scrambled eggs with shells in it.
Are you adding the Nutridrench to her water, or direct dosing?

Back
Top Bottom