ISA-Brown page. :)))))))

I haven't read this thread completely through so I don't know if the point has been made before but knowledge of the breeds/crosses not withstanding, patents do expire and I'm wondering how that is dealt with? I know Big Pharma catches hell with folks who want to put out their own version of big money-makers and if State Security secrets can be gleaned through espionage, chicken pedigrees should be a walk in the park...???

Just musing.
The companies own the rights for their developments. There are a lot of people who like to experiment with breeding including myself. Every year I do a breeding project. This year is support for my breed crosses of last year. This is a female from a cross of a Rose Comb Rhode Island Red male with Rose Comb Rhode Island White females. My Single Comb Rhode Island Red male with Single Comb Rhode Island White females produced excellent laying Red Sex-Links.
My SC RIR male/SC RIW females cross produced excellent layers, they seldom skipped a day. I was counting the eggs they layed and when I did my calculations it averaged 6.5 eggs per day per bird. After about 2 years they were down.
I thought I may get the same with the RC RIR male/RC RIW females but got a real surprise.
I sold her and another exactly like her from the same hatch, they are excellent layers.

This was her as a chick I thought would be a male. I was intending on processing (him).

This is another chick I didn't keep. I thought it was a female. I'm repeating this breeding and will keep all of the chicks this time.

Here are the chicks shortly after they hatched with some RIR chicks.

ISA brown chicks are now about 21 days old. First trip out to the run today. They are starting to fly and they love to scratch around.

My ISA Browns.
smile.png
Brandy-new! Looking forward to watching them grow!

They grow quickly...mine are 7 weeks old tomorrow. We have 14...ordered 25 but they were a day late arriving and some were DOA. We gave 6 to our great granddaughter which leaves us with 14. We also have 26 buff orpington's that are a week old today. Good luck!

Thanks! :) And, yeah - seeing how fast my ducks grew was surprising. I imagine chickens are pretty similar in growth rate. I just take lots of pictures so I can remember. LOL!

What cute little fuzzballs. They look really fresh.

The ducks grow MUCH faster than the chickens will.

Here's a few of my little buggers at about 4 weeks old, ugly as sin but I still think they're cute. They're headed to the great outdoors this week.

What cute little fuzzballs. They look really fresh.

The ducks grow MUCH faster than the chickens will.

Here's a few of my little buggers at about 4 weeks old, ugly as sin but I still think they're cute. They're headed to the great outdoors this week.

Oh, okay. I figured their growth rate would be pretty close. Ducks grow CRAZY fast! LOL! But, at least with chickens, I won't have to deal with the water mess that ducks make. So far, the chicks have kept the brooder dry, unlike ducklings who, at times, made me have to clean the brooder multiple times per day. ;)

I couldn't resist. Here's a better pic of one of my girls. They are done being ugly and back to cute. Look like small chickens now.

I couldn't resist. Here's a better pic of one of my girls. They are done being ugly and back to cute. Look like small chickens now.

big_smile.png
Looking forward to feathers!!

BTW, we're experiencing pasty butt with 2 of mine.
hmm.png
I cleaned them up this morning and it hasn't returned so far. I hope it was just the stress of relocating them and that they're happier and have better digestion at this point!! Actually, one of them has no downy fluff near her vent. Looks weird. But, it doesn't seem to bother her. She's running around just like the rest.

Back
Top Bottom