Isa brown vs Rhode Island Reds

Henpeckedrooster

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2020
Hi guys,

After being duped with my first lot of hens.. long story..

I’m going to be getting some POL hens but I wanted to know between the isa browns and the red which one do you prefer and why.

I’ve read the forums and have seen great things about both breeds. Would love some input on my new flock.

Thanks in advance.

ISA are hybrids, they’re a red sex link bred for quick, high production and short shelf lives. They’re more prone to laying issues than a pure breed, behaviour issues with other chickens and generally have shorter life spans. That’s not to say they’re bad, they’re a great option if you want a constant layer for 2 years, they’re also confident and very out going hens, never broody. Rhode Island Reds are pure dual purpose breed, they can be for eggs and meat. They’re usually good layers, not much tendency to brood but they can, I believe they can be temperamental with other breeds. The only bad thing I know about RIR are the roosters. If those are the only options, I’d maybe go for a few of both or the RIR.

ISA are hybrids, they’re a red sex link bred for quick, high production and short shelf lives. They’re more prone to laying issues than a pure breed, behaviour issues with other chickens and generally have shorter life spans. That’s not to say they’re bad, they’re a great option if you want a constant layer for 2 years, they’re also confident and very out going hens, never broody. Rhode Island Reds are pure dual purpose breed, they can be for eggs and meat. They’re usually good layers, not much tendency to brood but they can, I believe they can be temperamental with other breeds. The only bad thing I know about RIR are the roosters. If those are the only options, I’d maybe go for a few of both or the RIR.

thanks for your reply. yes they’re the only options at the moment So I’m guessing I’ll try a mix of the two.
I’ve heard they‘re both quiet timid which I like and hopefully the isa brown can live a little longer than the two years 😊

thanks for your reply. yes they’re the only options at the moment So I’m guessing I’ll try a mix of the two.
I’ve heard they‘re both quiet timid which I like and hopefully the isa brown can live a little longer than the two years 😊

They live longer than 2 years, avg 5 years, they just won’t lay well after the 2 year mark. I’ve always known mine and others to be the top of the pecking order and very confident. My Leghorn was scared of me but my red sex links always came to see what I had in my hands.

Hi guys,

After being duped with my first lot of hens.. long story..

I’m going to be getting some POL hens but I wanted to know between the isa browns and the red which one do you prefer and why.

I’ve read the forums and have seen great things about both breeds. Would love some input on my new flock.

Thanks in advance.
First time with Isa browns this year... great layers with fewest red/meat spots . Beautiful nice size, dark brown eggs. I’d go with them again!
Reds are pretty consistent as well. I’ve had good ones and some mean ones.
I like both breeds but again I’d go with a few more isa than reds. That’s just me..

I’ve personally have had better luck with ISAs than with with RIRs. My ISAs are sweet and are excellent egg layers. My RIRs were very aggressive to their flock mates. They feather plucked my other hens and even started cannibalizing them. I decided to get rid of them......best decision I ever made! Not to say all RIRs are aggressive, but I won’t ever take the chance again.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom