Isa Browns Killing Domanecker

SnarkyFarmer

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
Dazi Acres
I just introduced two different flocks, some 7-month-old Isa Browns and a group of 3-month-old pullets that included 23 Rhode Island Reds and a Domanecker.

The Isas went for the Domanecker immediately and since the Reds are two small to be contained by the electric fence I have around their coop I've been letting the Isas out during the day and keeping the Reds and Domanecker inside, then putting the Isas in at dark.

Today I wanted the Isas to stay in for the morning to lay eggs in the new nesting boxes I introduced yesterday. Plus it was raining like hell all morning.

When I went out at noon to let the Isas out and collect eggs, they were huddled around the Domanecker, which was dead, its backend feathers all picked clean.

The Isas haven't done this to the Reds (yet). Why did they single out the Domanecker (she was almost as big as the Isas are)?

welcome-byc.gif

Because she looked noticeably different - hmm, not all that different from humans. Keep an eye on the reds - as new members of the flock they may also become targets of aggression.

Flock integration of birds of differing groups often goes very badly, especially of one group is younger than the other. They attack and sometimes kill as they ward off intruders and outsiders. It is their nature and how they've survived for 5000 plus years.

In husbandry we have to expect some of this and work with it as a reality It is a very difficult thing to integrate two groups, oft times.

[/quote]
Flock integration of birds of differing groups often goes very badly, especially of one group is younger than the other.  They attack and sometimes kill as they ward off intruders and outsiders.  It is their nature and how they've survived for 5000 plus years.

In husbandry we have to expect some of this and work with it as a reality   It is a very difficult thing to integrate two groups, oft times.  

Wow. I have to be careful with mine. I went to a farm animal swap in a nearby town today and almost bought some four month old pullets to put with my flock. I am glad I did not buy them.

Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Sorry about your Dom, hope the Reds integrate smoothly.

Thanks for all the responses, and welcomes. When the Browns started giving the Dom trouble we joked the Browns were racist. Apparently we weren't far off.

Back
Top Bottom