ISA browns not laying

They will be 2 years old in August. Could they only lay for 2 years?
I love Isa Browns but won't get them again. They are so friendly though. Mine all ended up with reproductive issues around 2 years old. They laid so much their body couldn't keep shells on the eggs. They ended up with lash eggs after 2 years which is pus. The vets said it was from irritation in the ovuduct. They are the only breed I've had that had this issue. My one Isa laid 3 eggs at once multiple times which was sad to watch. Two of these would be shell less. They are bred for rapid egg laying but it takes years off the lifespan. I hated having to put them to sleep I used to hold all 4 at once and have not found more loving hens than that breed.

I love Isa Browns but won't get them again. They are so friendly though. Mine all ended up with reproductive issues around 2 years old. They laid so much their body couldn't keep shells on the eggs. They ended up with lash eggs after 2 years which is pus. The vets said it was from irritation in the ovuduct. They are the only breed I've had that had this issue. My one Isa laid 3 eggs at once multiple times which was sad to watch. Two of these would be shell less. They are bred for rapid egg laying but it takes years off the lifespan. I hated having to put them to sleep I used to hold all 4 at once and have not found more loving hens than that breed.
I'm so sorry. I lost my Golden Comet (another high production bird) the same way. Such a good girl. I am considering getting out of the chicken business altogether. I love them dearly, but they can have so many problems. It's heartbreaking to lose them that way.
:hugs

see your chickens laying again? I have 1 isa that hasn’t lay since sept. But u heard they just lay 2 yrs
My ISA mix just started laying again 2 weeks ago. Actually she is the only one laying so far, except her daughter finally laid one yesterday. Copper Marans are checking out nest boxes, but no eggs yet this year. I have cameras on all the nest boxes.
ISA are really bad about laying all over the place. When I had the original ISA girls, I would find the eggs in the iris patch and mint, ir sometimes in the woods.

Actually she is the only one laying so far, except her daughter finally laid one yesterday.
I had to read this twice - I thought it read "Actually she is the only one laying so far, except MY daughter finally laid one yesterday."
:lau

Being old is fun sometimes. The things my bad eyes read can be hilarious!

I'm so sorry. I lost my Golden Comet (another high production bird) the same way. Such a good girl. I am considering getting out of the chicken business altogether. I love them dearly, but they can have so many problems. It's heartbreaking to lose them that way.
:hugs
I think I'll always have hens. I thinking Rhode Island redd instead of Isa Browns. It's really tough right now because I have not got an eggs since end of July on all my other birds. Many people around me suspect the feed had made them sterile as so many people around me and the world have had eggs so since the summer. So it is challenging. Even if they won't lay anymore ill give them a good life as pets.

Back
Top Bottom