Isa Browns ?????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by moonlitfarms, Nov 16, 2007.

1. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    I have found many Isa Browns for sale in my area. What are these? Are they a crossbreed for laying purpose? Please help

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's a particular "brand" (line, breed, whatever) of red sex-link layer, a RIR X. I think they're often used in commercial brown-egg production because they're bred for very high egg output.

From Wikipedia: "Institut de Sélection Animale, the company which developed the breed in 1978 for egg production as a battery hen. In 1997, the ISA Group merged with Merck & Co., forming Hubbard ISA, so the breed is sometimes called Hubbard Isa Brown. In 2005, Institut de Sélection Animale (ISA) and Hendrix Poultry Breeders (HPB) merged. Institut de Sélection Animale SAS, France (ISA SAS) is now an operational centre of Hendrix Genetics. In March 2005, Hubbard was purchased from Merial Ltd by Group Grimaud La Corbiere, SA."

I have 3 of them, and they are quite excellent, friendly smart calm chickens. Many weeks I have gotten 21 eggs from the three of them!

Unfortunately one of mine, Matilda, started having problems about a month ago at approx 10 months old - became eggbound and as near as I can tell is now a chronic internal layer. She'd been doing really well since we broke the stuck egg last month to get it out, but this morning she is all huddled up and poorly looking, so I am afraid her luck may be running out [​IMG] I have heard that ISA Browns are somewhat more prone to this sort of reproductive problem, which would make sense to me as they're SO hyper-bred for high egg production. Thus I am not sure whether I'd get them again. However they really ARE sweet, personable, useful chickens.

Hope this helps,

Pat

3. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    Thank You very much!

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have six ISA Browns. They are a real sweet chicken. [​IMG]