isa browns

choctaw chicken

Chirping
14 Years
Sep 18, 2008
choctaw county al
Hey yall got a question regarding isa browns. At what age should they start laying and how many eggs should i expect. Ive got twenty hens and someone said to expect 300 to 400 hundred eggs per hen a year is that possible thank yall.

Welcome.gif

I have brown sex-links (which is what an ISA brown is) and they started laying at 15 weeks. Yes you can get 300+ eggs a year from one hen, at least the first year. Mine are 16 months old so I can not say about the 2nd year and beyond.

I had three as point-of-lay pullets from the feed store; they were already laying at 16-18 wks when they arrived. 300-350 eggs per year per hen is quite possible... for the first year and a half. After that things are likely to drop off, and I have to tell you that only 1 of my original 3 ISA Browns is still alive (not yet two yrs old) because of eggbound/internal-laying problems.

They are bred to be high-production but not necessarily long-production, you know?

Good luck and have fun (I really really liked my ISA Browns, personality-wise -- still do very much like the one remaining one),

Pat

My coworker has, at times, had as many as 80 ISA's. They are very dependable layers of large and extra large eggs. They're fairly quiet and fairly well-behaved. They can be somewhat territorial if you're mixing flocks, however.

If large brown eggs are what you want, they seem to do very well.

I was given 2 isa browns a year ago. They were 2 years old at the time. They were both excellent layers and weight for weight laid more than my pullets. Ie, they laid 4-5 eggs per week but they were much larger than a pullet egg.
One got poorly about 6 months ago and did not survive and the other is looking a bit sad just now. She has stopped laying but has a red comb. I suspect that she may have started to lay internally.
My old hens were ex-battery birds..ie factory farmed birds so they had a hard life. Yours may last longer if they have an easier life. Enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom