isabel vs porcelain in silkies

cows and chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Wyoming
I am wanting to know the difference. I am seeing silkies listed as either or as if they are interchangeable. I thought an porcelain is like that in the d'uccle and that isabel was more like the lemon blue color in game birds. Could someone please help with specifics on what makes an Isabel vs what makes a porcelain in silkies? How does a silkie even have the ability to clearly be porcelain with the feather being not hard?

Color terms/names for each breed mean one thing while in another breed or species could be totally different. For silkies the colors listed are different. Porcelain colored silkies have a base color (under coat) of isabel which is kinda like a light cream color. Porcelain birds kinda have a grey color about them,

here's a thread w/pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/401246/isabel-coloring

how can silkies be porcelain? they do not have the correct feather structure or coloration to support the color pattern of a "porcelain" bird since that color variety is already established as basically a dilute of the mille fleur pattern?

seems to me it is inaccurate to call a silkie porcelain. it's either isabel or lemon blue?

Back
Top Bottom