Isbar thread

Pics
Pea comb and most likely male by the color. Also not an Isbar but it could just be genetic defect and would normally be culled. Definitely tag the chick and do not breed.

Edited to correct. I was thinking about my Marsh Daisy at the time. This is a pea comb.

We also received one Isbar that has the wrong comb type. I believe it is an Isbar. There are lots of recessive traits that can come out when breeding. This is a bird you would not want to use for breeding. They were almost extinct so there is going to be problems that you are going to need to deal with when you breed Isbars. Good luck with your new birds.

Isbars are only single combed, green egg layers. In fact it is the only single combed green egg layer. I personally would never consider calling it an Isbar. It is very cute but in my opinion not an Isbar and should be culled to prevent contamination of the gene pool. Remember culling does not mean killing. It just means removing it from the breeding program. You could always sell it as a green egg layer or keep it as a layer.

It all depends upon your goals. If you wish to breed and sell Isbars, you should cull it. If it is just a pet or don't care about selling Isbars, then don't worry about it. I would ask the breeder to send you a replacement, either way.

Well it IS an Isbar, in so far as it's direct from Greenfire (their 2013 line). I will be culling it from my breeding pool, but if it's a pullet it can go in the layer flock, if it's a roo it's going to the sale

Last edited:
I finally got an egg from one of my Isbar pullets!! A very pretty sage green! I'm super excited!

I also grabbed a good picture of Harris, my Blue Isbar Roo. He is so sexy!

Well it IS an Isbar, in so far as it's direct from Greenfire (their 2013 line). I will be culling it from my breeding pool, but if it's a pullet it can go in the layer flock, if it's a roo it's going to the sale

That explains it. Every new breed or import requires heavy culling the first year or so. I had to cull 40% of my Marsh Daisy in the first generation. And my Ayam Cemani (not GFF) required culling 80% the first generation which was hard to do since the chicks can sell for a grand each. culling is just a normal part of breeding.

While we are talking about culling, have any of you butchered cockerels? I would be most interested in if they flesh out at a relatively young age since they don't have a huge frame to fill out. Any information along these lines would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 questions: is this a boy or a girl ( they are 5-6 weeks)? Is this a single comb?

I think this must be some kind of outcrop or crossbred...never seen yellow legs or a pea/modified pea comb on a pure Isbar. Just because it came from GFF doesn't mean it's purebred...they have messed about with a lot of their imports trying to get more production and recoup their import costs. They made a real mess with the Rhodebars. If it were me I'd demand my money back on this chick, knowing what they charge for SR Isbar chicks!

Also his legs aren't as yellow as the pic makes it look, in the middle one you can see they are more green. All my splashes have lighter legs than the others

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom