Isbar thread

Pics
I know that story. I've had that happen to me before. Since one is "stinky", hopefully the other 2 will hatch. We are all crossing our fingers for you.

Has anyone ever had an isbar lay cream colored eggs? I bought a quad from someone, who bought the eggs off ebay...of which I got the quad from. So far I've gotten one green egg and 4-5 cream colored eggs. The person I bought from is being very nice and communicative...so that is not the problem. Just wondering if they will get the green as they get older since they are young or they aren't true isbars. Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had an isbar lay cream colored eggs? I bought a quad from someone, who bought the eggs off ebay...of which I got the quad from. So far I've gotten one green egg and 4-5 cream colored eggs. The person I bought from is being very nice and communicative...so that is not the problem. Just wondering if they will get the green as they get older since they are young or they aren't true isbars. Thanks!
Not here. All ours lay minty to light sage green (and some of these have light or tannish speckles). If it were me and I was wanting green-laying Isbars I would not use those birds as breeders. It is at least a 50% chance whatever cockerel you have also carries the incorrect egg color genetics. They will not get more green with time, and your birds are likely highly related if not full siblings.

thanks to all who had their fingers crossed. Like I said the hen had these a week before they went to incubator, and I know another fickle hen kept booting her off her nest. I still had hopes. but they were all stinkers. My roo fathered a chick on another farm and one on mine. so at least his genes are still with us

Last edited:
Technically they will be barred, but if you are expecting them to look like BBS cuckoos, they will not.

The plan:

[COLOR=333333]1.  Cross
[COLOR=333333]2.  keep the F1 males and cross them back to Isbars[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]3.  Then do a BC1 x BC1 cross to make the double barred males[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Males should be very Pale light blue with a headspot, females will be much darker with a smaller headspot[/COLOR]

For Quick Sexlinks that produce Bluish or light greenish eggs..

Isbar Male crossed to Cream Legbar Females would produce Sexlinks, males would have a Headpsot and females would be solid colored.

you can take these F1 Blue or black Barred males and cross them back to Isbars to continue with the Autosexing Isbar project

DCchicken, what would be the advantage of crossing the Legbar over the Isbar hens, VS, the Isbar over Legbars? I would love to do this, and I do not have much experience, but I do know how to choose brreding stock. I just never "tweaked" a breed, before. If you have advice I would appreciate it. Also how many generation does it take to get the Isbars pure again, sorry to sound stupid, I had been thinking of this for a while and do not know of anyone attempting this in my area. I am in Virginia. Thank you

DCchicken, what would be the advantage of crossing the Legbar over the Isbar hens, VS, the Isbar over Legbars? I would love to do this, and I do not have much experience, but I do know how to choose brreding stock. I just never "tweaked" a breed, before. If you have advice I would appreciate it. Also how many generation does it take to get the Isbars pure again, sorry to sound stupid, I had been thinking of this for a while and do not know of anyone attempting this in my area. I am in Virginia. Thank you
With chickens, the rooster passes the dominant traits. You could technically start with either. But if you start with the Isbar roo first, you will get sexlinks.

The subject of "pure Isbar" is one that is going to be debated for a while. Once you cross out, they will be crosses (barnyard mixes). But the guy that created Isbars never finished them. He had the intention to make them autosexing but never got to that point. I plan on finishing that but slowly as I have lots of breeds of chickens and projects, including a Bresse x Cream Legbar cross that produces large volumes of sage green jumbo sized eggs and are dual purpose. The auto-sexing Isbar project hasn't gotten the attention it needs this year. Hopefully in the Spring.

Where are you in Virginia? I live in D.C. but own a farm in Maryland.

I am in Ashland, Va. Not too terribly far from you. I would assume the sexlinks would not breed true?, meaning the offspring would not produce auto sexing? I would like to start breeding, and have felt for a while that using the Cream Legbar to create an autosexing, or barred Isbar. I know technically the offspring would be barnyard mix, but not to me. It is something I would like to work on as well, and I stumbled upon this thread. Particularly your post. I may not be experienced in this area of genetics, and was hoping for some expertise. I do not have a farm, and I am not in the "chicken business" other than selling my culls. I hope this makes sense . Basically I was hoping for a little guidence, as I would like to work on the same breeding program, but just as my hobby not for profit. I hope that clarifies what I am saying. Thanks for being patient. Im not great at typing. :)

Back
Top Bottom