Isbar thread

Since they're so limited genetically is there an accepted outcross? Like phoenix people always use dutch to cross to. Is there anything to cross isbar to?
Improvement projects are a several-year commitment. To maintain the double blue egg genetics, the options are limited. I can't think of a one that I'd want to take on.

Since they're so limited genetically is there an accepted outcross? Like phoenix people always use dutch to cross to. Is there anything to cross isbar to?
Maybe, not that I'm aware of. I wouldn't want to see them outcrossed, personally.

I have a year-old blue male available for someone. He's brother to all of my hens and not useful for me to breed. Old lines, from The Old Farm House in Texas.

I have hatch mates too. A rooster and 2 hens. I was hoping to breed them but isbars seem so inbred already i was hoping for a quick outcross and breed back but it seems i'll just have to sell the rooster or the hens

I believe the breeds that were used to create the Isbar were the Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Leghorn, and the Cream Legbar. Personally, I would use the Cream Legbar if I were going to do an outcross to ensure that the blue egg gene is passed on. Others are actually outcrossing to Cream Legbars hoping to make an auto-sexing Isbar.

Of course, looking at list list of breeds above, I am not seeing where the BBS coloring came from.
idunno.gif
Maybe the same place those dark eyes came from.
love.gif

I believe the original Isbar was also called the Silver Barred RIR. They are trying to recreate this breed in Sweden. What we know as Isbar in this country was originally called Svensk Grönäggsvärpare, roughly translated to Swedish Green egg layers. Today they are called Isbar Blue in Sweden to differentiate them from the original Isbar.

http://www.bostallet.cybersite.nu/sbrir---vit-isbar

Last edited:
Where do they get the dark eyes from? I know they have rir and leghorn in their make up which aren't dark eyed.
I have been talking to one of my contacts in Sweden and our guess is the dark eyes, as well as dark legs and BBS color, may have come from Minorcas. The two breeds are very similar in form. Martin Silverudd was known to use Minorcas, although so far there is no reference to them in the notes that have been found in relation to the Isbar Blue.

It might just be because i raise swedish flower hens and icelandics but has anyone noticed isbars are built like swedish flowers and resemble some icelandics. Is it just a swede thing? Haha

I believe the original Isbar was also called the Silver Barred RIR. They are trying to recreate this breed in Sweden. What we know as Isbar in this country was originally called Svensk Grönäggsvärpare, roughly translated to Swedish Green egg layers. Today they are called Isbar Blue in Sweden to differentiate them from the original Isbar.

http://www.bostallet.cybersite.nu/sbrir---vit-isbar
Thanks for providing us with information.

correct me if I am wrong, I thought that RIR was a dual purpose bird. My Isbars are very very very little - 3 1/2 pound birds. But they lay large green eggs... How large are Isbars out there? - One of mine is the dark-eyed version Probably very inbred, and the other one here is a recent bird - and possibly has some outcross in her - her eggs are more olive. I just lost two of the original type to raccoons..and feel that they are not replaceable. Is there any information about an expected size?

Back
Top Bottom