Isbar thread

Hello to everyone. I'm a fairly new member and just a couple of months into Isbars but like most of you I have fallen in love with this breed. I read about the inbreeding problems and the weak immunities and other problems and now that I have some of these wonderful birds I want to be part of the solution. I have purchased some grown birds from different sources and am happy to say I have some black eyed birds, some orange eyed birds directly from GFF this spring, and some that have darker eyes with just a little orange. And some eggs from two lines in the incubator. I would like to pair these darlings up properly so each hatch will be an improvement but I'm not sure exactly how to do so. Ive concentrated on acquiring some diversity first. My two mature roosters are a blue old line and a splash mixed lines (or second line, not sure). Then I have a black new line only going on four months old. Can someone direct me to a crash course in improving chicken genetics? LOL! I think I have a good start but where to now? I understand part of the egg color problem comes from inbreeding too and anything with black eyes has been inbred to death so it seems that egg color might just be one of the problems and culling all of those isn't necessarily a fix. GFF seems to think breeding their new line to the earlier ones is a fix for those problems so the fix is an ongoing one not a short term one. My original plan was to obtain all three lines and practice a modified form of spiral breeding, initially aiming for a higher concentration of the new blood in the majority of the first babies, then start the spiral breeding, hoping for a standard forthcoming before starting to shoot for any one thing. Health first, then appearance and production. Am I way off base here? Any suggestions on the next step? Thanks for any suggestions. I've read many of the posts and really like this group. Some serious minded bird lovers!

Hello to everyone. I'm a fairly new member and just a couple of months into Isbars but like most of you I have fallen in love with this breed. I read about the inbreeding problems and the weak immunities and other problems and now that I have some of these wonderful birds I want to be part of the solution. I have purchased some grown birds from different sources and am happy to say I have some black eyed birds, some orange eyed birds directly from GFF this spring, and some that have darker eyes with just a little orange. And some eggs from two lines in the incubator. I would like to pair these darlings up properly so each hatch will be an improvement but I'm not sure exactly how to do so. Ive concentrated on acquiring some diversity first. My two mature roosters are a blue old line and a splash mixed lines (or second line, not sure). Then I have a black new line only going on four months old. Can someone direct me to a crash course in improving chicken genetics? LOL! I think I have a good start but where to now? I understand part of the egg color problem comes from inbreeding too and anything with black eyes has been inbred to death so it seems that egg color might just be one of the problems and culling all of those isn't necessarily a fix. GFF seems to think breeding their new line to the earlier ones is a fix for those problems so the fix is an ongoing one not a short term one. My original plan was to obtain all three lines and practice a modified form of spiral breeding, initially aiming for a higher concentration of the new blood in the majority of the first babies, then start the spiral breeding, hoping for a standard forthcoming before starting to shoot for any one thing. Health first, then appearance and production. Am I way off base here? Any suggestions on the next step? Thanks for any suggestions. I've read many of the posts and really like this group. Some serious minded bird lovers!
Your avatar is a pretty rooster.... is that your blue?

Yes. He's an original liner. I need better pictures but I liked that one with his grandpa eyebrows so I changed my avatar. Here's the splash, either second line or mix old and second with his hens. Their eyes are just like his.

Welcome! It sounds like you have a good plan. If you are able, try to set up 3 or 4 different breeding groups and follow a spiral breeding program. Make a plan as to what you are aiming for so that you can set your breeding groups and cull intelligently. Personally, I would look at the characteristics of the original import line for guidance. In setting up your different groups, think first about diversity and making sure your roosters are not related to your hens. If you can without sacrificing diversity, try to group them so hens and roosters complement each others strengths and weaknesses. In other words, your dark-eyed girls with a light-eyed rooster and visa-versa, and same for other characteristics. This way, you will have a better chance of getting more chicks carrying the genes that you desire to pass on. The first generation of chicks may not show as much of the characteristics you are breeding for, but starting with the second generation you should start to see more.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Wow! What wonderful help and information!! I'm reading from the Homesteading site and that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll study up and post progress as I get things in place. Thank you so much KYTinpusher and Altair! I am sincerely grateful. Also thank you all for your encouragement. That really goes a long way with such a beginner as myself taking on such a huge project. What nice folks in this Isbar thread. I really appreciate y'all. Just goes to prove, "ask and ye shall receive". Thanks again.

You're welcome! I'm in the process of trying to implement spiral breeding for my hedemora. If I had the space and money I'd do it with every breed I have. It sounds like you're on a good path, be sure to post the results along the way :)

Back
Top Bottom