Isbar thread

I'm looking for personal experiences... About how many eggs a year do Isbars lay? I'm in Arizona, where it get hot, and not too cold, just freezing a couple nights a year. Thanks!

droolin.gif
You are right I should see them!!!!

Drive on over. You can stay at my house! Kern

Hi everyone~

I was hoping some of you would share your experiences regarding some of the second importation birds. I have some first import birds that I am very happy with and that I feel are correct in terms of what an Isbar should look like. A few months ago I won an auction for some chicks off of the Rare Breed Auction website that were from the second importation. I am a bit surprised by the differences in the look of these birds. There are some odd feather patterns developing as well as a much lighter eye. I don't think any of this second import batch have the dark eye that the Isbars are known for. Since none of my birds are of laying age yet, my question to all of you out there that have birds from this second importation is what color of eggs you are getting? I am concerned that I am not going to be getting green eggs when these second import birds start laying. They have obviously been crossed with something which is disappointing because they are presented as pure Isbars. I was just hoping to get some feedback on those of you out there that have birds from this second importation and I'm hoping you'll share what you are experiencing in terms of egg color. I am hoping that I will at least get nice green eggs to enjoy with my family even though I don't feel I will be using any of these birds in my Isbar breeding program unfortunately.

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and hope to hear back from some of you with some feed back on these second import birds. I appreciate your input.

Thank you all!

What color of eyes should an Isbar have?
A very dark brown to black is preferred.
love.gif

Hope you have a great hatch PD!!!

Wishing everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS filled with many Blessings. : )
Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year to you also!

At lockdown. 2 more days, honestly getting so impatient.
smile.png
Wishing you a wonderful Christmas hatch with many blue babies!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

Hi everyone~

I was hoping some of you would share your experiences regarding some of the second importation birds. I have some first import birds that I am very happy with and that I feel are correct in terms of what an Isbar should look like. A few months ago I won an auction for some chicks off of the Rare Breed Auction website that were from the second importation. I am a bit surprised by the differences in the look of these birds. There are some odd feather patterns developing as well as a much lighter eye. I don't think any of this second import batch have the dark eye that the Isbars are known for. Since none of my birds are of laying age yet, my question to all of you out there that have birds from this second importation is what color of eggs you are getting? I am concerned that I am not going to be getting green eggs when these second import birds start laying. They have obviously been crossed with something which is disappointing because they are presented as pure Isbars. I was just hoping to get some feedback on those of you out there that have birds from this second importation and I'm hoping you'll share what you are experiencing in terms of egg color. I am hoping that I will at least get nice green eggs to enjoy with my family even though I don't feel I will be using any of these birds in my Isbar breeding program unfortunately.

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and hope to hear back from some of you with some feed back on these second import birds. I appreciate your input.

Thank you all!
Merry Christmas to you!

I share your disappointment in the 2nd import birds. Though I have seen a few good examples out of that line, many I have seen (including some that I bought from GFF) exhibit influences of what look like Marans and Ameraucana to me. Copper and red hackles and saddles, light eyes, small combs/little or no wattles, brown eggs, and a stockier bird are just a few differences I have seen. Of the 3 second import hens (all direct from GFF) that I kept, one laid brown eggs and was sold as a layer; both the others lay green, although one was more of a khaki color that has recently turned more mossy green - I think her brown paint gun is running low.

You are fortunate to have some 1st import birds to work with and I hope you get a few from your 2nd import that you can use for diversity. I have one breeding group with just 1st import stock and another group with a mixed line cockerel over 1st and 2nd import hens. I also have some other mixed line pullets, but they are currently in a project pen - when they are done there, they will go in a group with a 1st import line cockerel. I plan to add a couple more breeding groups of 1st import birds from other breeders for diversity this spring. I will not be adding any more stock from the 2nd import, but will keep what I have and continue to breed them back to the first import line to improve them so they can add some diversity.

How many 1st import birds do you have? I would love to see pictures of them!

Back
Top Bottom