Isbar thread

I actually haven't decided on a color I have several I could do, I have wheaten ameraucanas, one roosrooster pure for the blue egg gene who could be partridge or split to it. A pullet that is his daughter with a white laced red cornish who lays light olive eggs etc. I could even go for silver penciled with my Plymouth rocks. What would you suggest?
Whatever direction you decide to go with this, I would suggest that you use a color that is compatible with the Blue (black dilution) gene as it is an integral part of this breed. In order to get a project to be considered part of the breed, you will have to back cross several times to purebred birds. Yes, you could always use black Silverudd's Blues to back cross to, but this breed was designed around the blue plumage color and the green egg color (requiring the blue egg gene) and it would be a shame to disregard it.

Also consider other traits when starting out. The Wheaten Ameraucana would reinforce the blue egg gene, but would add the pea comb, muffs and beards which would need to be bred out and can cause problems down the line.

Just some things to think about.
smile.png

Picked up a black isbar pullet today from the same breeder because he felt bad about both of the chicks i got from him being boys.

Here is a question for you -- and I  hope it comes across right:  

Are you going the project route because you don't have the base stock of Silverudd's Blue Isbar --  that's to say you have only one of a pair - or the ones you have are all closely related?   If the breed needs more individuals just to strengthen the breed -- would it be more advantageous to try for top quality pure Isbars?  

:idunno
I!m going the project route because I like more colors, and also because the pair I'm getting are at least half siblings. I also have one amamerucana project color in its infancy wheaten with dominant white replacing the black in both genders (what I call white wheaten)

I'm going to read this thread.

I have 13 that are 3 months old. All the little pullets are light blue.
I have a splash roo, and some darker roo's.
Trying to decide to just stick with the blues or throw the dark roo in.

Whatever direction you decide to go with this, I would suggest that you use a color that is compatible with the Blue (black dilution) gene as it is an integral part of this breed. In order to get a project to be considered part of the breed, you will have to back cross several times to purebred birds. Yes, you could always use black Silverudd's Blues to back cross to, but this breed was designed around the blue plumage color and the green egg color (requiring the blue egg gene) and it would be a shame to disregard it.

Also consider other traits when starting out. The Wheaten Ameraucana would reinforce the blue egg gene, but would add the pea comb, muffs and beards which would need to be bred out and can cause problems down the line.

Just some things to think about. :)
I could cross in a bantam silver penciled rock and make blue silver penciled isbars, I think I might go that route first.

A friend of mine has a Blue Isbar rooster.. and she isn't zoned for roosters... so she wants me to take him. Does anyone have any experience with them? How is their temperament upon maturity? Also, they are listed as being very cold hardy, but those combs and wattles!!! I worry about them being prone to frost bite. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

A friend of mine has a Blue Isbar rooster.. and she isn't zoned for roosters... so she wants me to take him. Does anyone have any experience with them? How is their temperament upon maturity? Also, they are listed as being very cold hardy, but those combs and wattles!!! I worry about them being prone to frost bite. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Of all the males i have ever had in 5 years of keeping chickens, the blue isbar is by far the best disposition.

A friend of mine has a Blue Isbar rooster.. and she isn't zoned for roosters... so she wants me to take him. Does anyone have any experience with them? How is their temperament upon maturity? Also, they are listed as being very cold hardy, but those combs and wattles!!! I worry about them being prone to frost bite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
big_smile.png
I agree with Chickat- Love my blue isbar roosters. I have one left. Yes, they can get frostbit combs in the winter. But, we had -24 weather up here on occasion. My roo's who got frostbit it turned a little black and fell off. They didn't skip a beat. I watched it for infection. It was a non-issue for them. Although, they lost a little of their rugged good looks! LOL

I am not sure what your flock is like but I don't take adult birds for biosecurity reasons. However, if I was a small backyard gal and knew who they were coming from and I didn't care. I would quaranteen his butt for 30+ days and he would be mine!

Purpletie3 is SO right about biosecurity~ This is a concern that each of us should pay more attention to. That being said -- I also think that good specimens of Blue Isbar (dark almost black eyes, good green eggs) -- are rare enough that it is well worth the effort of that 30-day quarantine to obtain any of the breed.
old.gif

Hello All!
I'm new to BYC but have been following this thread for a couple weeks. I bought some 'Isbar' chicks recently but I'm questioning whether that's what I received. Could you please help with your opinions? I love all I have read about the Isbars and am hoping for the best. Thanks!!!!

These are my 4 week olds

These are my four 6 week olds in front (I think the blue is an Isbar; the 3 blacks I was told were 'black splash' however one has a muff so I'm thinking Ameraucana)

Back
Top Bottom