Isbar thread

Welcome to the wonderful and sometimes maddening world of Silverudd's Blue (Isbar)!

You may be able to get an idea of the sex of your babies by the first month, usually it is a bit longer though. I have some hatched 6 days ago and can make guesses based on stance, but they are only guesses. I like it when a cockerel shows himself quickly and many SB do. There are some though... I have a little splash I was sure was female who just started growing waddles. He is 3 months old. Little stinker! He is in with several dominant cockerels though.

Thanks for the fast response! In the brooder, the splash is all of the sudden looking like s/he woke up with a different "alertness" and strut. Mainly praying that the little dark one is a female because my 3 year old is in LOVE and I can only have so many roosters. I will keep a watch! They are just precious!!

@cree57i one more question: in Isbar chicks is the size of the wing indicative of gender? My splash has much larger wings than my black.
D.gif

@cree57i one more question: in Isbar chicks is the size of the wing indicative of gender? My splash has much larger wings than my black.
D.gif
If it is, I dont know about it. That would just be too simple!

The first picture is of 25 Silverudd's Blue (Isbar) I hatched last Sunday for the Easter Hatch-a-long. The next picture are a few of my grow outs hanging out.

If it is, I dont know about it. That would just be too simple! The first picture is of 25 Silverudd's Blue (Isbar) I hatched last Sunday for the Easter Hatch-a-long. The next picture are a few of my grow outs hanging out.
So pretty. Here are my chicks:
They are almost 2 weeks old.

I've been wanting this breed for a while and finally got some hatching eggs. All 3 of them hatched and it's looking like I ended up with 1 splash boy, 1 splash girl and 1 blue girl. Pretty good odds compared to the rest of the hatch which were mostly boys. They are 4 weeks old.
blue isbar pullet.jpg
splash isbar pullet.jpg

Splash Isbar Cockerel.jpg

My only Silverudd's Blue hen disappeared!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't it figure she'd vanish 2 weeks before I planned to build her and my Silverudd's Blues rooster a breeding pen? Now what'll I do with him?! Guess he gets the golden sexlinks I picked up from the farm store until I can get more hatching eggs or pullets from someone. :hitI'd hoped she was out in the field sitting on eggs, but it's been more than enough time for her to hatch out babies, and I still have seen no sight of her (though I did see a duck hen that was "missing" appear one morning for her breakfast and a drink before going back to her stash of eggs).

Our new Silverudd's Blue chicks! They're so cute we can hardly handle it! We had four, but the one we named early on didn't make it. :( We noticed she'd developed pasty butt (seemed to happen really quickly, we'd checked on them mid-morning and then after work we noticed she was really lethargic) and went downhill very quickly. The three in the picture seem to be thriving, thankfully! They'll be two weeks old on Wednesday. They are the 1st chicks hatched from parents who are of stock from Greenfire Farms 2nd import stock. They'll join our mixed flock of a RIR, EE, and three BOs - eventually! They're so stinking small! :) Any tips on early gender recognition with this breed? The two blues have developed tail feathers already but the splash hasn't. The splash is smaller than the two blues though.

Attachments

• signal-2017-05-22-130156.jpg
    signal-2017-05-22-130156.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom