Island Coop

anniemoo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
island off the coast of Maine
Check out my "Island Coop" (small island off the coast of Maine) by clicking on my username (anniemoo) to see it on my personal page. I used mostly scrounged materials, my family runs the island transfer station and rents dumpsters to contractors so we do a lot of dumpsterdiving and also beachcombing. My five kids are all in their twenties and all away and one of the first things they say when they get home is "let's go check out the dump". Once the ice and snow go, I plan to build the run. I am getting bantam pullets from My Pet Chicken on April 20.
Jane

Nice coop and great recycling!!! Just remember that chickens don't care what it looks like as long as it is safe and warm. I think you did a fantastic job!
big_smile.png

It is wonderful, makes me think of a "gnome home"!
thumbsup.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
!

Can you give any details? Size, floor, building tips?

It is so wonderful!

The "Island Coop" is 4'X6'. The ends are 8 1/2' tall and the sides are 4 1/2'. The framing and studs were not evenly spaced so I put a window from my large collection of windows into a space where it would fit and then just built around it. I don't know how to frame windows or doors (just can't seem to visualize it) so for instance with the door, I propped it in place and then built a frame around it. I fill in gaps with painted trim, sometimes there seems to be layers of trim to fill in holes. I recently scored an old discarded garden way cart from the dump and plan to build a chicken tractor and put 2 chickens in it. Our island is small (40 people) but swells to 300-350 in the summer. I have an idea to "rent my chicken tractor, give your kids, grandkids, guests a farm experience when they come to visit". Most people that come are from the cities and suburbs. We'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom