Isn't 100 sq feet tight for run with all the "extras'

Actually, I have 2 structures. And one of them IS a plant stand, that I had sitting in its original box, for something like 2 years 😁
It is tie-wrapped to the pen walls.

The other is this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RS8MX8V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here it is:
IMG_20230428_183839964.jpg

If you look carefully you can see two black zip-ties attached to the top horizontal brace. They are also looped around the cattle panel frame.

Thanks for the idea!

Wow! Everyone has these beautiful runs! We are planning to build something real big and pretty like that when we move, but for now, we are making it work with something more temporary. There are absolutely more easily moved "chicken tractors" you can do. We just inherited a free 10' dog enclosure, and bought a canvas roof for it. My husband also bought four trailer wheels that crank up and down, but hasn't managed to make time to weld them on yet. 🤷 So it takes two people for that reason, and we just use a couple of hand trucks. Note the bare spot next to it. 🤦 Lol Blame the ducks. But anyway, we just reseed whenever we get around to it and it bounces back.

View attachment 3485883
Main low perch is just a 4x4 on a couple cinder blocks, higher perches are a salvaged wooden ladder cut down and doubled up, and I use a little spare wood and bricks to stabilize and protect the nest box from the elements. For that, I use a rectangular detergent bin, which works perfectly with a nesting pad tucked in. I know I have pictures, but I couldn't find one just now...
View attachment 3485890
Poor ducks are a little limited on their pool accommodations for the time being, but they do just fine. ❤️
View attachment 3485898
Under this tree is a favorite dust-bathing spot.
View attachment 3485903Duck hut pictured in the distance. Yes, we carry the girls back and forth twice a day. Haha
You have beautiful spot ♡

If you have the space and budget to give them more space, I would give them more space. I've never seen anyone say "I gave my chickens more room and it caused problems," but you will find with some flocks that the recommended minimum is too small for their liking.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Chickens will always use all the space we're willing to give them.

It also gives us more room to get in there and work with us and reduces cleaning/rebedding by spreading the poop out.

Just keep in mind just because you are out there does not mean they are safe. I had a coyote take one of my ladies a couple years ago, middle of the day, me, my husband, and our 2 dogs outside
Yes. A fox came and was running after one of our girls, literally 2 inches from getting her, in the middle of a sunny summer day. I ran up the hill after it screaming blue murder. I didn't have a weapon---rake, or anything---and didn't care. I was screaming and crying, but mad as heck. I was able to chase it away from our hen but I still have the horrible memory. I was right there. That fox didn't care.

Back
Top Bottom