Isn't there laws about this?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by allanimals21, Dec 6, 2009.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I know i saw something on here not long ago about the age puppies need to be? In this add they state they are 5 weeks and ready to go now. Also it bothers me that they have a picture of the puppies sibling from a year ago. The father is the neighbors dog. GET YOUR DOG FIXED!!

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/1496749371.html

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I think it varies by state. Here in NH puppies are not allowed to go to a new home before 8 weeks of age. I don't know if that's a standard across the board.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've gotten most of my dogs when they're between 5 and 6 weeks of age.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Most states they are not allowed to leave their mom till 8 weeks old. At 5-6 weeks they havent had their full mom experience before they are dragged away to a new world. Dogs arent like poultry. At all.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine have all done just fine at that age. Most of the time by that age mom isn't letting them nurse anymore anyway.

6. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Ive always got mine at 6 weeks never had a problem

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I don't know about puppies, but the old 6 wk. standard for kittens is TOO YOUNG. Separation too early can cause psychological issues and fear later on in kittens. For kittens to be separated from the queen and sent to another home, they should be AT LEAST eight weeks old.

8. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Quote:I think this is pretty true of dogs, too. During this age there's a lot of socialization and learning that goes on.

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

FL law is 8 weeks to SELL a pet 'of most common varieties' (dogs, cats, rabbits, ferrets, exotic rodents, non poultry birds)

feeder rodents/rabbits
    poultry
    most reptiles

are not included in this.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, if you look at all of the info together - It is obvious this person doesn't seem to care too much. "free," the odd and common breed mix, and the fact that they claim their lab is 100 lbs? [​IMG] Sorry, only an extremely fat lab is that heavy - My Akita is barely past 100, and they are much larger than labs.

But, yeah, 5 weeks I doubt is legal to sell directly, but you can do it as a waitlist sort of thing. ( depends on state though - I know in WA this would only be legal to pay for, and wait until it gets older )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by