ISO advice need roo for dual purpose hens

lleeme

Chirping
Apr 21, 2022
Water Valley, MS
I recently decided to go from layers to dual purpose chickens. My remaining rooster however is a Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I saw somewhere that they have a low fertility rate (not sure if they mean the roosters or hatch rate). Anyway, I think I need a new rooster to help my ladies make more. I am not concerned with egg production, we have been drowning in eggs from the ones I have. I have a few black astralorp, light brahmas, delawares, and chocolate orpingtons. What would be a good choice in roo for me to be able to hatch eggs and grow out some for meat? TIA

Last edited:
I recently decided to go from layers to dual purpose chickens. My remaining rooster however is a Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I saw somewhere that they have a low fertility rate (not sure if they mean the roosters or hatch rate). Anyway, I think I need a new rooster to help my ladies make more. I am not concerned with egg production, we have been drowning in eggs from the ones I have. I have a few black astralorp, light brahmas, delawares, and chocolate orpingtons. What would be a good choice in roo for me to be able to hatch eggs and grow out some for meat? TIA
The best dual-purpose roosters I've had (for meat) were Barred Plymouth Rock and Black Australorp. Large and meaty, but not so big and heavy as a Brahma. I've also had/have a Rhode Island Red (see below) - and American Bresse (jury's still out on these two, they're just youngsters still). I haven't had any others, so I can't speak for the other breeds.

It's just been my experience and maybe my particular roosters, but the best all-around flock guardians have always been my RIR's. They can be feisty, but if they're raised up IN the flock, mine have been good boys. Not as meaty as the other breeds, but not skinny either.

I have a bunch of Plymouth barred rock Americauna mix roosters I’m about to butcher but if you want them for free please take them! Depending on where you live I’d make the drive tonite maybe. They are all of age to fertalize

Back
Top Bottom