ISO Breeders for a few rare birds

Tehwrd

Chirping
May 29, 2020
Alma, KS
Hello.

My oldest son is looking to raise Crevecoeurs. He would like to show them and possibly sell them. He is set on raising a breed listed as critical by the livestock conservancy. I know there is a breeder listing there, but thought I’d see if anyone here raised them and had stock or knew of quality breeders or even Breeders to avoid. On that note, would birds from McMurray be good to start his venture?

My youngest son is interested in the Sultan breed. Looking for the same show birds and breeding stock. He has been looking at both McMurray & Cackle. Both boys have read up on and love the breeds they’ve chosen and want to help reestablish them.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
Tammy

I would look at breeder for breeding to uphold the standards. Breeding a lesser quality bird makes it stray from what the breed truly is. I am not a breeder but that is how I understand it.

Generally, hatchery birds are not a good starting place if you're looking to breed to the SOP and/or for show. They are generally much farther away from the SOP, and can have weird genetics or flaws, (examples: wrong comb type, no extra toe, no/poorly feathered legs) as well as bad coloring. It is definitely a better idea to look for a breeder. Unfortunately I don't know of any, but good luck in your search!

Crevecoeurs aren't not as rare as the conservancy list says. There's many breeds in their lists that aren't that rare.
Many hatcheries carry them although finding a breeder for the best standards may proof difficult.
Greenfires used to be the best, but quality has slipped in recent years.

Crevecoeurs aren't not as rare as the conservancy list says. There's many breeds in their lists that aren't that rare.
Many hatcheries carry them although finding a breeder for the best standards may proof difficult.
Greenfires used to be the best, but quality has slipped in recent years.
Thank you. This is good information. Their birds are significantly more expensive, and if the quality isn't there, that seems like it's not really worth it. I also noticed on their site that the birds they have meet French standards for the ear lobe, but not necessarily US... US is red and French is a bluish, that seems like a big difference. It is also good to know that they are not as rare as the conservancy lists. According to them there are only 500 breeding birds in the US, which seemed odd since the hatcheries have them.

Thank you. This is good information. Their birds are significantly more expensive, and if the quality isn't there, that seems like it's not really worth it. I also noticed on their site that the birds they have meet French standards for the ear lobe, but not necessarily US... US is red and French is a bluish, that seems like a big difference. It is also good to know that they are not as rare as the conservancy lists. According to them there are only 500 breeding birds in the US, which seemed odd since the hatcheries have them.

Well, you don't need to register chickens anywhere (thankfully), so I'm not sure where they get data for their numbers.
Yes, unfortunately Greenfires birds aren't as good as they once were and aren't worth the pricesm

Back
Top Bottom