Isolating A Bully Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by btruegs, Sep 7, 2014.

1. btruegs

btruegs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Hey Guys,

I have rescued a dutch bantam hen from my grandma that her other chickens just couldn't get along with. I have 4 original hens, 3 of which are doing just fine with her. My fourth and smallest original is being a "bully" and won't stop attacking her. I have 1 coop, which is in a fenced 15x12 foot pen back by the garden. Do i need to build a second smaller coop to isolate the bully?

Thanks!

P.S.
    I don't know if this is important, but my four original hens are different breeds than the dutch bantam rescue. 1 new hampshire red( ring leader), and 3 black australorps.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Did you put the new hen straight in with the flock? If so, that's an issue... Best to separate her in a run where she sees them, and they see her, every day, for at least a week before making introductions.

Best wishes.

3. btruegs

btruegs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    I made a small pen made from scrap chicken wire in the run area, which only lasted a few hours cause she kept getting out. But it's only the smaller hen bothering her.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Fair enough. There's a good chance things would have gone more peacefully if the week's separation 'rule of thumb' had been observed. But your girls, overall, don't sound like a vicious lot. Perhaps putting the bully into a separate coop for two days would change her mind.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by