Isolating birds to show at local fair

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by armadamork, May 17, 2011.

1. armadamork

armadamork Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    We got a pair of Old English Game birds a couple of months ago for my son to show in a local fair this Aug. He is only 8 and the birds are two years olds and handle wonderful. The male was already shown so his comb is trimmed already. [​IMG] Perfect size for my son. The problem I have is the rooster has taken most of the neck feathers off the hen recently. We were told to seperate the two for about six weeks and the feathers will grow back. My question is should I only isolate the hen and let the roooster free range or should I put them in there own cages next to each other. They are two peas in a pod and are inseperable. The keep to themselves and haven't joined the flock. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    The feathers won't gow back until she moults again in the spring or fall. If he's tearing her up like that she's likely never going to be in show condition unless separated before she moults then kept apart. Get him more ladies and he might leave her alone enough to be pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by