Isolating hurt chicken and need help!

lindsayrussell

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
hi! Yesterday I went down to check on my chickens and noticed that one chicken had blood on her wing about the size of a golf ball! i bought blue cote (the purple spray) and sprayed it on her, but later at around 6:30, one of my chickens (“the lead chicken”) was bullying her pecking at her wound and wouldn’t stop. so we put her in a big cat crate with food and water and sprayed her wound very well. we put the crate in the coop that night. This morning we put her in a 3 x 4‘ long outdoor dog kennel with food and water and covered the top of it. we put it right next to the run outside so that all the chickens could see each other. she seems a lot more happy and content and we plan on leaving her in there until the wound is healed.

The question is, do we put a cardboard box with wood shavings in it and put that in the dog kennel with a blanket on top of the kennel to make it dark? Or should we put her back in the crate in the coop? The weather will be 53° tonight.

we’ve had the chickens for about three months now and it’s only one chicken pecking at her.
thank you so much!

Attachments

• 9D3D4C36-4A65-42C5-8DB0-8D851F86D1D7.jpeg
    9D3D4C36-4A65-42C5-8DB0-8D851F86D1D7.jpeg
    879.2 KB · Views: 32
I would be leary about leaving her in the dog kennel because of predators being able to dig down and under. For my injured chickens, they get to enjoy the garage until they are well, sometimes this is less stressful to be away from the flock. I would then make sure she integrates back into the flock well.

If it weren’t dark, I would take pictures of our chicken hospital for you. Get a medium sized dog crate and put that in the kennel, filled with shavings. Then you can take a tarp and tent it over the dog crate, securing it to the ground with bricks or something (and obviously leaving some air flow). It looks like there is some kind of roof over your kennel?
53 degrees is not cold at all for an adult chicken, and she shouldn’t want to roost right now if she’s heading from a wound. The dog crate will give her the feeling of being safe and protected... and chickens do not need access to food and water overnight, so you won’t have to worry about that.

If it weren’t dark, I would take pictures of our chicken hospital for you. Get a medium sized dog crate and put that in the kennel, filled with shavings. Then you can take a tarp and tent it over the dog crate, securing it to the ground with bricks or something (and obviously leaving some air flow). It looks like there is some kind of roof over your kennel?
53 degrees is not cold at all for an adult chicken, and she shouldn’t want to roost right now if she’s heading from a wound. The dog crate will give her the feeling of being safe and protected... and chickens do not need access to food and water overnight, so you won’t have to worry about that.

okay thank you so much! yes we have a piece of plywood over the kennel. we will put a crate with shavings inside the kennel :) thank you

Back
Top Bottom