Issue with the gizzard? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrs.CritterLover, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Mrs.CritterLover

Mrs.CritterLover Hatching

Jun 11, 2009
    One of my young pullets, about 7 weeks old now just developed something quite odd in the past period of 48 hours. It seems to be tumor like, around her neck/chest area, possibly the gizzard. I searched google but I could not find anything on it. Its a very swollen lump just a bit smaller than a ping pong ball on the right side of her chest right at the begenning of her neck. She is eating and drinking like normal and it doesn't seem to hurt her as I have touch it with some pressure with no reaction from her.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    That is her crop.

And it's supposed to get bigger when she eats. It should be flat in the morning and full in the evening.

I guess some chickens's crops get bigger than others.

I don't know much about the problems that crops can have. If you think she's having a problem, you might search "impacted crop" and "sour crop" to see if your chick is having any alarming symptoms.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    you are looking at the wrong organ. try looking for "crop"..

the gizzard is internal.. You cannot see any evidence of it..

and it is not neccessarily a problem.. the crop can oftenlook lopsided or large.. do not squeeze on it as that will just force semidigested food out of the mouth..

wait until tomorrow and check it.. It will probably be gone..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: