Issues With Automatic Coop Door in Winter

_bockbockbock_

Hatching
Dec 20, 2022
Hey there!

We got an automatic coop door this past summer and it was working great, however, now that winter is here and the sun is lower in the sky in the northeast, we are having issues with the door having enough light in the morning to open. It closes at night fine but for some reason the light in the morning is an issue.

The coop door is on the north side of the structure which looking back now, is definitely a design flaw. We really don’t want to reconstruct or move the door, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

One idea I had was to place some sort of mirror or reflective material in a way that directs light that way, but I’m not sure if that’ll really work. Please let me know any ideas on this issue you may have!

Which door is it? Some, Ador1 for example, have option to program for more sensitivity. Check your instructions.
The ADOR1 also has a remote light sensor that allows you to place the sensor on whichever side you need to see the sun when it starts to rise. My ADOR1 is on the south side of the coop but I placed the sensor on the east side. Ass you said, I can also adjust sensitivity if needed

It does not have a timing setup like some other openers. However, after three months of use, mine is opening just fine on cloudy, rainy overcast days. The sensor is very sensitive and cannot be aimed at an artificial light source or it will open automatically. I have a security light about 60 feet perpendicular to the sensor and it doesn’t affect it. However, I did aim it in that direction and after several seconds the door opened. The remote sensor works extremely well.

i also got the remote push button with the door so that I can open and close the door from outside the coop if I need to.

We have the omelet door and the control mounted on the north side. We have to use the time function because of the light issue. That and I don't feel safe with it deciding when to open and close.

I would think the problem with an automatic door in the Winter would be temperature.
Sometimes I don't open my door until noon if it's too cold or sometimes I opened it at 8:00 in the morning. I mean you can get down to 20 below 0 or more and not warm up till noon.
I can see where I would be good to have one but I'd want to be able to override it.

Back
Top Bottom