Issues with bald spots and red skin?

Raisetheroost

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2021
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I was unsure on where else to look.

My chickens will be a year old in September of this year, and as a first time chicken mama, I am still learning and experiencing new things. That said, I know my girls are molting, but I'm not sure of these symptoms are normal molting behavior?

They have big bald spots with new feathers coming in above their tails, but the skin underneath looks very rough and is bright red, possibly inflamed (not all 9 of my girls look this way, just a few)? It could be them pecking as a result of the exposed skin, but I haven't witnessed it firsthand. They are also bald in spots on the tops of their heads (I have a Rooster, and I'm assuming this is thanks to his poor skills in the procreation department).

I have the Rooster Booster "Pick-No-More" lotion, but it doesn't seem to help.

I will add that they exhibit none of the signs which would lead me to believe they have mites. No pale combs, lack of appetite or activity, increased dust bathing, feather loss anywhere else on their bodies, reduced egg production (still 7-9 every day), or dirty vent feathers.

If there is anyone who might have a little insight or can offer any friendly advice or products that may help, I would be so very grateful! 🙏 I just want to make sure I am doing everything right, as I don't want to lose any of my flock.

Thanks in advance! 💕🐔🐓🥚

This missing feathers from the head, and back are probably from the rooster. Generally birds don't molt this time of year, but they can loose feathers, and replace them on occasion. Most feathers will not be replaced until the fall molt.

Exposed skin will be red. That's normal.

Back
Top Bottom