1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Issues with late hatchers?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cassidy22, Jan 31, 2012.

1. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I have a question and hoping for an answer. My neighbor and I both hatch eggs. We have both had this same issue and are trying to prevent it.

We have had a few chicks, usually the last to hatch, sometimes a day or 2 after hatching should be complete. They hatch on their own, sometimes taking a long time. But when they do, it appear that they have some internal organs that are on the outside. Just a small stretch of intestine or something. It's very small. They hatch, we generally leave them alone, that small organ starts to dry up and they start to die. They do eat and drink from the start, but don't last more than a day or two.

We both use different 'bators... She uses a fully manual styrafoam incubator. I have a sportsman, fully automatic, and the 3-com mini fully automatic. So we can't blame it on the incubator, or that hers aren't getting turned enough. We BOTH have it happen.

Is there something about these late hatchers that means they didn't develop correctly? The rest hatch fine, it's just one out of a batch of 30 or so, but it's heartbreaking.

Anything we can try? Anything we can do to prevent this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by